Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Interpreting the results of a ua hgb test

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
User Profile
I had Urine test a few days back and my test came back in the niormal ranges except for one, The UA HGB test came back 2. What does this mean?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 25th, 2010
Kidney Conditions Answer A12453
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know what your results of a UA HGB test mean.

UA HGB is a test that detects the presence of blood (hemoglobin) in the urine. This molecule is usually not found in the urine, but in case of kidney infection or a medical condition called glomerulonephritis, blood may be found in the urine sample. The presence of erytrocytes in the urine sediment may also indicate urinary bladder infection and kidney stones, if additional symptoms that may suggest this medical conditions are present.

Given the data that you described, it is likely that your results show that you experienced a urinary tract infection. Consume cranberry juice or tea, because these plants have a uroantiseptic effect. You may also consider having a bacterial culture with an antibiogram from a urine sample to rule out possible urinary tract infection. See a nephrologist if you still experience hematuria after antibiotic treatment for urinary tract infection.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor or other qualified heathcare provide such as a nephrologist for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.