Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Intense pain in forefinger

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
I haven't hurt myself and have no previous symptoms of any kind to explain the sudden shooting/stinging pain I am getting in my fore-finger. It started suddenly 3 days ago. I've noticed it happens when I extent my hand to reach for something or stretch out my arm and extend my fore-finger at the same time. The feeling in my finger reminds me a bit of the feeling you get when you hit your elbow the wrong way - crazy bone pain. I haven't lifted anything or hurt my arm, finger, or wrist in any way and have had absolutely no previous stiffness or soreness in any of my fingers. The stinging feeling seems to be on the side of my finger, closest my thumb and it runs about 2/3rds down my finger towards my hand. I've also noticed that when I extend my arm, there's sometimes a slight sensation of tightness - like something in there has compressed and there's not enough left to stretch my arm out all the way. I did notice the top of my arm between my wrist and elbow felt a bit sore yesterday - just a spot running lengthwise my arm. If I hadn't had the pain in my finger, I'm not sure I would even notice the stiffness and/or soreness in my arm. I have full mobility of my finger and have no trouble bending it, but the pain can be really intense and unexpected when I stretch out my finger.

What is this and should I wait a few more days to see if it goes away by itself or should I go to a doctor? With the H1N1 virus spreading where I live, I'm relunctant to go to a doctor's office unless it is really necessary.

Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 15th, 2010
Experienced User
Hi jadeprincess,

It really sounds like a small pinched nerve in your arm. It should go away (I hope) in a few days with an anti-inflamitory medication or ICE.
You may want to also after that go to heat, back to ice. If that helps great:-)
If not check your nuckles and make sure that they are not swollen. (I once jammed my finger in my sleep lol)
If it does not go away I would not be too concerned I am sure that any doctor will be able to help you with this. (I also would not worry too much about the virus out there. We come in contact with viruses everyday, everywhere we go. This one can be killed with lysol, so get a can and take it with you to spray on your door handles. Avoid touching services followed by any mucas membrain.Most people are no at risk. Take good healthy advice like eat right keep washed and eat fruit. Stuff like that to heart and let come what may. (That is how I look at these things. It helps) Whatever works for you.
Good Luck in your search for a remedy to this pain:-)
Best Wishes,
bamm
|

replied January 15th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
hi bamm...welcome to ehealth. youve joined a group of people who are great supporters of others in pain. its good to have you aboard. you'll make friends , learn a bit and have a few laughs so stay tuned and guess what...nobody in the backroom reads your pm's.....pete
|

replied January 17th, 2010
Experienced User
Thanks for the welcome Pete:0
That is nice I can have a private msg lol
What did you think about this finger Pete?
Any ideas?
bamm
|

replied January 17th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
it does sound like pinched nerve, its interesting that jaded princess compares it to crazy bone pain. when you whack your elbow and get that pain its so intense for a minute or two. i have sciatica and often describe the pain in my legs as very much like the pain from crazy bone irritation.
jaded princess posted this so many months ago and nobody responded till now but it would be good if she could tell us how long it lasted.....pete
|

replied January 18th, 2010
Experienced User
I wondered why noone had responded to it. I would like to know too.
Tc Pete,
bamm
|

replied March 30th, 2010
Thanks for all the responses. It's been a while since I checked this site and thought I'd let everyone know that it did go away in a couple of months all by itself. I have also noticed when I use my laptop computer a lot - for hours at a time - I have a few flare-ups. My posture is different when using my laptop and my hands/arms are usually in an awkward position - probably causing stress on muscles and nerves in my arms. It took a month or two for the pain to totally stop when extending my finger, but all is well now!
|

replied December 14th, 2010
stabbing pain in forefinger
I have that stabbing pain for months now. It is localised only between my first and second knuckles. It does not propagate to other parts of my hand. It is like when wood splints or a thorn breaks in your skin and you can't remove it. When I feel it the skin is numb and as a big as a pin head swellen. I cannot create it to show how it pains, but in some usages such as pressing a clip, moving a sppon in certain direction it becomes immensely painful. The residue pain remains for half an hour. I am sixty-year-old and use computer for eight hours or more. I am suspicious if it is due to usage of the mouse.
|

replied October 4th, 2012
Sudden pain on lateral side of forefinger.
Wow, this exact thing happened to me at work tonight. Sudden pain on the lateral side of my left forefinger on the first joint, and greatly increases when I stretch out my arm/hand to reach out for something. I don't recall doing anything to injure it, it just came on suddenly. Geez, I hope it doesn't last for months. I am an RN and need my hands/fingers to be in good working shape!!
|