Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Insurance won't cover me at Shouldice in Canada

Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
Anyone have any good ideas on how to talk my insurer into covering my costs @ Shouldice in Canada. They say I must have surgery done in U.S. to get it covered. Darn! $400 p.mo. & now they won't even let me use it out of country.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 18th, 2012
What company is it? Did you ask if they will reimburse you a certain percentage. Will Shouldice give you a superbill?
|

replied March 19th, 2012
Thanks sm10. I'm getting a price from a local surgeon this wk. I figure I'll write my insurer (United Health Care Choice Plus COBRA PPO) a letter after that. I would imagine it to cost more in the States, but I don't know that. I'll see if UHC will bend the rules. Not sure what a "superbill" is, but I can call Shouldice & see what they can do. I spoke with a woman from there the other day & she says her billing guy might be able to get something out of UHC, but I figured getting on it now rather than later may work in my favor. Shouldice wants $8800 for the combo inguinal & umbilical hernias.
|

replied March 23rd, 2012
You submit this superbill to insurance and they reimburse you according to your contract. Call UHC and find out. You may have to put the money up front and then wait to get something back. Good luck. If you can afford the outlay, go there.
|
Tags: surgery, hernia
Quick Reply