Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > Health Insurance Forum

Insurance that covers pregnancy ?

User Profile
My husband and I are currently trying to conceive and I am beginning to worry about how we will pay for it. We have regular insurance but it says that there is a special $5000 co-pay for a baby. I guess I am just curious if we should change providers before we get pregnant to one that would cover having a baby. Does something out there that covers that even exist?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 8th, 2009
Re:
The only 2 that I know of are the state insurance and the military insuance. We have military insurance (tricare prime) and have not paid a single dollar for our high risk multiple birth pregnancy or the 78 day nicu stay.
|

replied April 15th, 2009
Blue Cross Blue Shield I believe WILL cover pregnancy. B U T... You have to have it on your policy for at LEAST 1 year. So if you did get pregnant in a month or so you would basically be SOL and stuck with WIC or some other state insurance (Which is a pain) My wife has the state provided insurance even though we are Blue Cross members, but we did not have the policy for a complete year before she became pregnant, so... lets just say its not that fun going to the doctor and trying to get things paid and prenatal vitamins and whatnot.
|

replied April 19th, 2009
Blue Cross California
Blue Cross California covers pregnancy too, they represent the major insurers in the State who all have stellar reputations for service. They all use medical underwriting to determine rates. This means the cost to you is reflective of how much risk they believe they are taking. There is cheap health insurance in California, but your history is one of the factors they will use to determine price structure.
|

replied April 21st, 2009
I believe that some BSBS plans as well as United Healthcare plans offer maternity coverage. The premiums are usually higher but wouldnt you rather pay a little extra a month instead of a $5000 copay for each maternity related issue? Check out health insurance brokers because instead of just carrying one health insurance company, they carry a lot of different plans and carriers. I get my health insurance from Health Plan One .They allow you to compare plans and add the proponents you need. Hope this helps!
|