Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Insect Bites Forum

insect bite swelling and pain

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I awoke one morning to find that I was bitten near the base of my thumb and my pinkie. It looked very red and unlike the usual mosquito bites. It didn't really itch too. Two days later, local swelling near the bite marks occured, and my plam was almost twice its usual size and I was throbbing in pain for two days. When the swell subsided, the itching came. I've never been bitten like this before so I am curious to know what bit me. A friend of mine shared the same sypmtoms, and told me the insect is oval in shape, looks flat with no feelers, whitish/greyish in color, and about 5 to 6mm in length. I saw this insect on the floor that day and killed it. Just can't trace on the net what it was and if it was really this insect that bit me, which would be amazing, and indeed scary.

Does anyone know?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 25th, 2008
Supporter
We've always called those insect "Silverfish". I'm not sure if it's technically correct, but I do not think that they bite. Certainly, it seems that whatever bit you had some venom...if you hand swelled so much. Possibly a spider...but these things pass, don't they?
|

I don't think it's a silverfish. Just need to know what it is in case it bit my kid and I think their reaction would be worst.
|

User Profile
Supporter
What part of the world do you live in? Insect possibilities will vary according to geography and climate.
|
Quick Reply