Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

inguinal hernia surgery side effect ? (Page 1)

I am a 32 years man. Last year I had a inguinal hernia surgery operation.

Before the surgery operation, my left scrotum was bigger than my right scrotum. After surgery the size of scrotum are the same.

But this is not my problem , my problem is that the size of my penis (both width and length) during erection has dramatically decreased after the surgery operation.

I precise that the normal size of the penis is of course the same but the size of it during erection (maximal size) has dramatically decreased.

This problem happened to me after surgery. At first I thought it is a normal condition after surgery but even now this condition has not been improved .

What is the cause of this problem and what is the treatment?

Thank you in advance.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper g8caprice
|

replied July 15th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
The problem can be from scar tissue or from the mesh (if mesh was used in your hernia repair).

I will send a pm to the male who is on here from time to time.
He can better explain this to you.
|

replied July 15th, 2008
Side effect
First off I suggest you see a urologist, Secodly you did not mention what if you had a mesh implant. I will do my best to answer this for you but please remember I am not a doctor. I am going to assume you had a mesh implant. When an inguinal hernia is repaired the spermatic cord is removed from the floor of your groin and a mesh put in to recreate the internal ring, the spermatic cord is then put thru a slit in the mesh and the replaced back to its anotomical position, I can figure that the slit may be to tight around the cord for one which in turn the mesh may be chocking off the blood supply, so that when you have an erection it may not be what you feel is a normal size. I have not heard of this problem before, but have heard that many men after a hernia operation begin having severe pain in their testicles. Like I mentioned earlier you should go to a Urologist and bring this up to him. I feel that the mesh inside of you is chocking off the blood supply to your penis and your testicle and should be relieved or it will sterilize you if left to long. That is my opinion only, maybe the urologist or your family doctor can give you another reason. I hope this helps.
|
Users who thank GDSM for this post: ^Serenity^ 

replied July 16th, 2008
Thanks GDSM for the info. Thanks ^Serenity^
|

replied July 17th, 2008
I am very worry about a possible sterilizing.
|

replied July 17th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
you are welcome jffun.
I would strongly recommend talking with the urologist about this. I know it's been a concern of many men and even women.
Please let us know how you are doing.

Wishing you all the best..Smile
|

replied October 15th, 2008
26yo male, i had a bilateral hernia repair with mesh 2 weeks ago, i also niticed that my erection, while just as stong, is a bit smaller, and my testicles are defenatly smaller as well as sperm load (trying not to be graphic).

this steralization idea has me very worried. i have a freind who also has chronic pain in his testicle after the surgery. i guess there is nothing much that can be done now, other than another surgery, which cabn only do more harm to the hernia repair.
|

replied February 12th, 2009
Inguinal hernia
Im about to do my surgery soon in 2 weeks time using mesh and laprascopic method. The surgeon already told me about a 5% risk of getting what you guys are telling me about on this forum i hope im not one of the 5% of those people indeed i am scared cos ive never had a surgery before and espeically when it affects me penis and testes
im 21yrs old
|

replied July 26th, 2010
inguinal hernia problems
JFFUN, I am experiencing the same problems as you now that I have had surgery for an Inguinal hernia that I had. Both size and width seem to have changed. Im only 21 so I'm a bit worried at such a young age. The lack of blood flow makes sense and seems like that could possibly be the problem for me? But for any doctors or anyone with a lot of knowledge within this, my question is how do I get this problem fixed? Would I have to go through more surgery for it to be done? And, is the doctor at fault for this, or do these things "just happen" after some surgery's?
|

replied August 9th, 2010
My Husband had an a hernia repair 3 weeks ago, no post op. appointment or anything! He was sure the second day it hadnt worked, he was right, he has been to the Doctors today and the locum Doctor was disgusted as the hernia is still there and the Doctor says its a large one and how can they not see they havent repaired it!
My husband has been in pain for 3 weeks , has a 4 inch scar and has not had the Op done so what an earth have they done!
|

replied October 18th, 2010
I had hernia surgery 10 years ago and ever since then, my penis has shrunk in length and width and constantly feels like it is retracting. It is extremely uncomfortable and I have been to the surgeon and to my GP and to a urologist and have gotten no response as to why this has happened. I have heard that the mesh can choke off the blood supply and I even believe that certain products (mesh) were taken off the market. What can be done to relieve my incredible discomfort?
|

replied January 20th, 2011
testicular hernia ,inguinal
iam a 29 african male planning on going for surgery. my hernia got started like 5 years ago and the only problem i have is the bulg on my pants (embarrasing in public ) and i have no pain. After reading all these posts about shrinking packages, i would rather keep my size. So what are the side effects of living with the hernia?...
|

replied March 16th, 2011
b
Im 18 and a freshmen in college. Started lifting a few months ago and noticed i had gotten an inguinal hernia. Went and got the surgery done and i had a mesh piece inserted in me. its been about a week now and ive noticed a very darkened area on my scrotum right below my penile shaft. I still have all of the feeling in the area but my skin is just a very dark grey. Im still a virgin and this is scaring the heck out of me. Please help!
|

replied March 16th, 2011
Re: b
anonymous wrote:
Im 18 and a freshmen in college. Started lifting a few months ago and noticed i had gotten an inguinal hernia. Went and got the surgery done and i had a mesh piece inserted in me. its been about a week now and ive noticed a very darkened area on my scrotum right below my penile shaft. I still have all of the feeling in the area but my skin is just a very dark grey. Im still a virgin and this is scaring the heck out of me. Please help!

You are still very early post op and some discoloration is perfectly normal. I would be worried if it was painful but what you are experiencing is normal and should go away in a few weeks or so. Hope this helps
|

replied June 1st, 2011
Hernia Surgery side effects
I had hernia surgery on march 8th, it was located on my left side near my pubic bone. About a month ago I have noticed a feeling like a pinched nerve or real sharp pain on my inner thigh, on the same side. It has now become fairly constant but mainly when I stretch my legs as in walking or having sex.

Has anyone had these types of symptoms? I have an appointment next week with my doctor, but would like some feedback .

Thanks, Brian
|

replied August 25th, 2011
Hernia operated place pains now
I am 21 years old.I had hernia surgery on January 18th.I having pains on my tactile and if i wear tight pants I got pain in operated place.it pains if i touch the place
Is there problem.how i prevent from repeated hernia.
Is this will affect sex.After mastrubating i get pains on operated place.
Please help me.
|

replied September 2nd, 2011
Hernia/genitalia problem
This was very informative. I am a 25 year old African American male who had an inguinal hernia around the age of 4 years old and required surgury to fix it. Till this day I still have a scar near my pubic bone as well as scar tissue that doesn't seem like it is as elastic as the rest of the muscles in my lower abs. Since I hit puberty I was concerned with the size of my package as I felt like it was not growing correctly. I come from a very well endowed family and I'm below the average compared to father, brothers, and uncles (no I dont walk around checking out them, its just obvious). It would seem that after reading some of these answers and post I more than likely have had a decrease in the amount of blood being supplied to my genital area at a very young age allowing me not to reach my full potential. Feel good knowing it was completely out of my control, for those of you that have had recent surgery I strongly urge you to see you local urologist to find out if there is anything that can be done. Hell I will too. Good luck gentleman.
|

replied March 25th, 2014
Hello Max1918
Did you see your urologist? What did he say?
|

replied September 19th, 2011
i'm a 16 year old male and had an inguinal hernea operation last march so i was 14 at the time. since then i have lost some feeling in the region of where my hernea was although if enough pressure is applied it is very painful, so what i want to know is: is it normal to loose feeling there? my groin on the side where i had my hernea is still dodgy and on random occasions it hurts after doing some sport and even without doing any activity at all so is that normal too?
|

replied September 23rd, 2011
Tap95
I had a bilateral laprascopic inguinal hernia operation on Monday the 19th of September. I overheard the surgeon telling a younger male patient that where the body is still growing there could be recurring discomfort. Perhaps when you are a bit older and stop growing things may settle down. Hope this helps.
|

replied November 2nd, 2011
hernia for ever
2005 i made surgery with mash both side take three months to walk again like 2 years to recover alawes in pain never left me. and know in 2011 the pain coming so bad specaily my left side medication iuprofen nothing like before in every thing most probleme i deal each day its the pain docteur says maybe the mash move from the place the ways its is i get screw up
|

replied November 19th, 2011
im 26yrears old and i think i have hernia, i have the same feelings on my left side of lower abodminal,feels like intestine is hanging down from the abdominal and going in to the testicales and sometimes it disappears, also hurts little bit. now im gettinzg merried next month, shuould i do the operation?
|

replied May 5th, 2012
Hey, I’m 26 I also have this kind of inguinal hernia on my left it started by a accident lifting at work when I was 19. These are the symptoms which I have noticed from this condition. First I have never felt the same since, I feel pain in that area at times, and constipated at wrong times, have bowl movements a few hours apart because of the restricted small amount traveling around the scrotum along with the feeling of this in the bathroom couple times a week. In my sleep or a sweaty outdoor activity sometimes my scrotum sticks to my thigh and moving around feels painful or very weird just as it is. When moving around rapidly you know it’s there, it’s not apparent in any way it’s just uncomfortable. Also my testis are leveled, doctors would tell you to cough and if both of the testes don't move up evenly, you have a hernia but I feel otherwise. Isn’t it true that the colon helps the body absorb vital nutrients and if this movement is postponed by hernia for example headaches, depression, fatigue, irritability, poor concentration, insomnia, muscular aches, bloating may occur.

Anyone else feel this way?
|
12 >>