Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Inguinal hernia repair post surgery pain

Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
Hello. About six days ago, on the 21st of October, I had a surgery to fix a small inguinal hernia before it popped out too far, and it had never gone into the scrotum. The surgery went well, but the amount I recovered in six days is horrendously slow. Since the first day, I have been having terrible headaches, my groin muscle feels like it didn't heal well each day. The site is looking a bit better, albeit still painful. When I lay down I get even worse headaches than standing, and when I take any painkiller the headaches worsen, as three night ago 440mg of ibuprofen made me feel like my brain was melting. Also, I do not know how I should prop my leg, and I worry about stretching the muscle too much and, being my first surgery, scared of it ripping back open. Also, It is stressful to get into bed, and the way I have to get in I don't think is helping me at all, I have to sit at an angle, and swing my leg up, swing the other, and use my arms to shift my bottom into alignment with my torso. I do not think it is helping and I hope is not making it worse for me, and to get out I repeat the bottom shift, and re swing my legs. I think I am pulling or ripping the stitches by doing this, so how should I avoid it?. About the headaches, I drink and eat enough, but they get so bad that when I lay down I can't sleep. I am usually awake anywhere from 3am to 5am until I get so tired that my body forces me to sleep through headaches, until maybe 8-9 in the morning.I have a spine that is in need of seeing a chiropractor, and was wondering if that was a factor in my headaches. Also my left testicle's part of the scrotum is dark purple and swollen, and a part of my penis on the topside is a sick green and purple color. Also, how long until the CO2 used to bloat the area is dissipated? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as I am sleep deprived and in agony every day, and I hope I'm not ripping the stitches.

Summary concerns:
Huge headaches
Swollen scrotum/ colored penis
Riping the stitches
Area not healing/ muscle not healing
Sleep deprivation
How to get in/ out of bed correctly (also, is there a certain height the bed should be/ my legs should be at to get in?)
How to prop leg correctly/ lay correctly
CO2 used to bloat/ dissipation
Medication (was prescribed Oxycod for immense pain, but it makes my headaches worse, tried Aleve 12 hour, didn't help, tried ibuprofen which gave a headache, and Tylenol PM that made me sleepy but didn't take the pain away, and later around 1 AM gave a major headache. I'm 17 years, 115-120 lbs, not allergic to meds [currently known], male, no chronic heart/breathing conditions)

Also, could my headaches be caused by my mother giving me Oxycod (prescribed by surgeon) literally every four hours for 3-4 days? The headaches started on the second night and I think I might be dependent/ addicted to it. I haven't taken any for a few days, but I still get headaches, and headaches with other meds too.

Update to above, I took a Tylenol PM 500mg capsule at 11:06 PM and now I have a major headache.

I'm in agony every day and I have to somehow get a miracle to get into school tomorrow. I know I'm supposed to hurt but this is torture and I'm scared I'm either weakening or ruining my repair. Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 27th, 2010
Honestly hope not to step on professional toes here and hope it is essentially the same as they will say....

I had a right inguinal repair done last May and I hate to tell you but I had pretty much the exact same troubles. It took me about 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 weeks before I was finally sleeping and moving alright and a while longer before I was doing anything resembling a normal life like lifting, bending, mowing the lawn etc..

For a long time I couldn't find a comfortable position to sleep in, couldn't lay straight and had difficulty walking upright though that's the best thing for you to do and important and with a normal gait.
My doctor prescribed one bottle of low dose Percocet and refused refills and I was in significant pain without help for a long time, curses to him!! The Percocet barely even touched the pain anyway.
I also had the same discoloration and swelling, HUGE swelling, like half a football hanging off of me and total discoloration, my skin was anything but white! It looked like a grotesque monster there and was alarming but it does go down and the discoloration fades with time. I wore loose fitting clothes, usually nothing that put pressure around the waist meaning usually just a robe with nothing under. I took walks as soon as I felt I could handle it which kept the area flexible and I just grinned and bore it. I started with just what I felt I could handle, barely to the bathroom at first and slowly worked up to longer.
My bed is high and was a real pain to get in and out and sleeping was a real problem, I averaged maybe 5 hours total sleep for quite a while and I got real grumpy between lack of sleep and pain.

I'm not a doctor and I'm sure one will chime in but I really doubt you'll tear out the sutures, I doubt you'll be doing anything that strenuous for a while.
Right now ice is probably your best friend!

Everyone told me that the repair was a piece of cake but I'll swear that it wasn't and I'm facing another repair too!

Hang in there, there is life after hernia repair and hopefully you'll be better than ever after.
|
Users who thank Paldincharger for this post: Baukwolf 

replied October 28th, 2010
Maybe a Doctor will answer still, but I am going to be seeing my surgeon today, hopefully he'll find out whats up with the headaches.

Edit: 10/29/10

Surgeon says I'm fine and the headaches just stress and sleep deprivation, as well as my bad posture ( I have a whole mix of all three major spinal issues.)
|

replied November 8th, 2010
inguinal hernia
keep your chin upmate it does get easier,i had open hernia op on mon 1st of november,your experiance sounds very similiar to mine,as each day passes the bruising and pain does get less irratable ,im now on day 7 and feel 90 percent better than i did earlier last wwek,i still have bruising coming through near to my incision and get tightness in my groin area and upper hip but not as aggressive.i stopped takingpainkillers on fri 5th,and have not needed to takeanymore,i think the sensations i am having in my upper groin area are nerve tissue fixing it self i get a bit of a judder at times that makes me flinch,keep u updated in a few days,good luck.andy
|

replied January 13th, 2011
how long does it take for post inguinal hernia pain to subsidize
I got inguinal hernia surgery yesterday, and the pain was unbearable after surgery. The moment i woke up and try to get up from the hospital bed i felt this incredible pain in my groin area. Today, i still feel pain, in right hand side (where i had the surgery) and it was very difficult to urinate; furthermore, im trying to walk but its very difficult....hopefully i'll heal fast.
|

replied April 3rd, 2011
good luck 3 weeks after having a hernia "repaired" ha ha my balls still hurt too much to do anything besides lay around still waking up 3-4 times a night due to pain and discomfort no sex. no walking, no running cant even stand for more than a few minutes. at this point id have preferred death to this
|

replied April 3rd, 2011
good luck 3 weeks after having a hernia "repaired" ha ha my balls still hurt too much to do anything besides lay around still waking up 3-4 times a night due to pain and discomfort no sex. no walking, no running cant even stand for more than a few minutes. at this point id have preferred death to this
|

replied April 21st, 2013
even i got surgery on my left for hernia.. i m feeling severe headache , since 25 dayz, could any one help me, how to get ridof dis headache??
|