Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Inguinal Hernia Repair One Week Ago - Lump Near Surgical Area

Hi,

I recently had my surgery one week ago, and from the day after the surgery I have felt a small lump on the right side. I figured that was the mesh they were using to patch it up, but the lump has become more noticeable; when I stand up straight, the right side is obviously bigger than the left side. The lump does not hurt, but as of now a big concern to me.

Is this normal and should I be concerned?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper rubenaryala
|

replied April 1st, 2009
The bump seems to be becoming bigger, this is a recurrent hernia I am guessing after just one week? I did not participate in any strenuous activity besides progressively walking each day.
|

replied June 11th, 2009
I have the same phenomenon and as far as my research in the web went I came to believe that it should be liquid gathering in the area of the Canalis inguinalis. I went under surgery two weeks ago and the lump is still there. Sometimes I have the impression it is a bit bigger then again I think it has less tension in it an it is smaller but I believe that's just imagination.
|
Users who thank rubenaryala for this post: Geoff1 

replied July 25th, 2011
12 days out, and I have the same thing (I don't know if I want to call it a "problem). It looks like I have an even bigger hernia than before the operation, but I believe that it is just scar tissue, liquid, or a combination of the two. I'm not overly concerned about it. Since you're only a week out, I'd suggest giving it 6-8 weeks to see if it goes away before worrying, unless it gets painful.
I should add that mine progressively got larger. Almost 2 weeks out, and I'm still not sure its done growing.
|

replied July 26th, 2011
It's Rubenaryala again: It shrunk down to the size of one half of an average walnut one and a half year after surgery. The surgeon examined it a year after surgery with a sonographic device and confirmed it was an encapsulation of "raw connecting tissue". It has now almost disappeared and did not bother nor disturb me since I knew what it was.

So now to everybody concerned about a hump remaining for a while: Seems to be normal now and then.
|
Users who thank rubenaryala for this post: Geoff1 

replied August 11th, 2012
inguinal hernia mesh pain/ problems
15 months post op and still have pain in area from hip to base of penis to low right inguinal area as well as exact spot of rupture/separation. Am angry that MORE pain after the 'practice' of medicine surgery is the result. I want the mesh removed.
|