Medical Questions > Mens Health > Penis Forum

Ingrown Hair or Herpes?

Must Read
20% of the population has or carries herpes simplex virus. But do you know what herpes is? Learn about causes and risk factors for herpes. ...
Do you know the less common signs and symptoms of herpes? Get the facts of herpes symptoms and outbreaks here....
Herpes diagnosis requires proper testing. Learn about the two simple tests that doctors use to confirm a herpes diagnosis....
I've tirelessly spent hours online today trying to find a photograph of an ingrown hair on a penis...to no avail. This is my last resort option before going to see my doctor, which I will have to wait a week for. I am losing sleep over this and need some immediate answers, so I have taken three photographs of the red bump that has formed at the base of my penis.

About a week and a half ago, I decided I needed a bit of manscaping done. It had been a while since I had taken a razor to my genitals so I tried to be extra careful. Well, everything went smoothly until about two days after I shaved. I started to notice this bump forming on the under side of my penis at the base. It seemed to have a white-head just like a zit. It was sensitive to the touch, also, and a bit sore.

The skin at the base/under side of my penis has some pitted areas where perhaps the skin has stretched. I don't know if this is common with every man or unique to myself. The skin there is cratered slightly, as if I have developed stretch marks. Sometimes a hair or two will grow out of there. So when I had the whitehead, I just assumed it was an ingrown hair and I asked the pharmacist what to do. She said to sterelize a needle and pop it. Well, I chickened out of that, for obvious reasons, and let it heal on its own.

The whitehead has vanished, but now the skin surrounding the pitted flesh is inflamed still. I will be going on two weeks with this embarrassing red bump looking thing on me and it has taken over my mind. I'm scared to death that I have herpes, as I have just started being sexually active again. Any help would be just great.

Thanks in advance.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 25th, 2009
Female
Same thing has happened to me! it is located on my thigh and is very embarassing.
When i showed the doctos she laughed and said not to worry however i am experiances swallen neck glands now.
After searchin online for a a picture to compare it to, this is as well my last resort.
Some one please reply....
Thank You
|

replied March 25th, 2009
I wouldn't worry too much, seeing as how you recently shaved and that's when it popped up. My boyfriend had almost the exact same thing happen. I was a little peeved at first because we've been together for 2 years and it would have meant he cheated on me if it was something else. He swore he hadn't but I made him go to the dr anyway. It turned out to be nothing more than an ingrown hair. I felt a little stupid afterward, but it scared me haha.

Anyway, I would just wait a little while and see if it goes away. If you're that worried you can always make an appointment and see what the dr has to say.

I hope this helped Smile
|

replied March 26th, 2009
UPDATE
Turned out to be an infected ingrown hair that antibiotics cleared right up. Boy was I relieved. The doctor laughed at how seriously worried I was.
|