Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Information and treatment for a hernia

User Profile
How to reduce the risk of hernia complications like Incarceration, Bowel Obstruction, and Strangulation?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 23rd, 2008
Hernia Answer A5118
Current medical status: I was diagnosed 8 months ago. My inguinal hernia is approximately 1 inch high (thickness) and has surface as an ellipse 7 inch² when I am lying on back (no pop out) and 9 inch² as ellipsoid when I am standing. I am happy if my hernia is in after night sleep. Whole day it is out despite I wear a truss. Nevertheless I have pain rarely and can lift 10 – 15 kilos without problem.

A hernia at any location is due to a defect in the muscle wall that should keep the organs from protruding out of their original position. The defect in the muscle wall can be solved only with surgery.

The most dangerous complications like incarceration, bowel obstruction and strangulation are not easily prevented. However, you should avoid lifting weights. In certain cases, the allowed weight is about the weight of a glass of water. Eating food with taking lots of fluid might prevent constipation and creating too hard a feces, which is a risk factor for incarceration.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.