Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Pancreas Disorders Forum

Information about acute pancreatitis

Must Read
Gastritis is a general term for stomach disorder. Learn more about types of gastritis, and the anatomy of the stomach in this basic intro to gastritis....
Gastritis occurs when the stomach lining becomes irritated and inflamed. But what can cause this medical condition? Are you at risk of this stomach disorder?...
Gastritis, or stomach inflammation, can be either acute or chronic. Learn how to tell the difference and know when to seek medical help by reading here....
User Profile
It has almost been a year since being hospitalized. At that point the doctor simply said "your drinking days are over". It was reading up on the disease that I found that my drinking days were over FOREVER. My question is, what are the risks if I were to have 3 or 4 beers in one sitting no more than one night a week? Or even less...one night a month?? year??? anything? Before the attack I drank usually a twelve pack of beer with at least 4 to 5 shots of liquor a night. 10 or more shots and god knows how many beers on weekends.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 26th, 2009
Pancreas Disorders Answer A5520

Current medical status: Hospitalized 5 days for Acute Pancreatits related to alcohol consumption. March of 08

Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas. It can be acute or chronic. Both can be caused by excess drinking of alcohol. In chronic pancreatitis the pancreas is damaged all the time, but the signs are more visible only if it turns into acute pancreatitis or complications develop. When alcohol is consumed, the pancreatic enzymes and the bile from the gallbladder are released in the intestines. This can trigger the acute pancreatitis. There are no studies on humans that determine the quantity of alcohol which can be taken without consequences because acute pancreatitis is a life threatening condition. So the most advisable would be not to take a single drop of alcohol. The pancreas will recognize it.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Pancreas Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.