Medical Questions > Parenting > Teens Forum

info about smoking

User Profile
My daughter is 18, a college student, athsmatic and has started smoking. I have combed the web looking for information on persuading her that this is a very very bad idea but I'm having trouble finding the sites / descriptives I want to use.
We discussed why she shouldn't smoke a long while ago now its reached a critical point.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 2nd, 2008
Community Volunteer
My goodness! Smoking is harmful could be life threatening to someone with asthma. It is important that she stop smoking before she becomes addicted. The lungs are already impaired and she doesn't need to fill her lungs with black tar. It's basically a death sentence for her: her life is going to slow way down because she's going to need all her energy just to breathe after a time, and that doesn't include with coughing and wheezing fits that she will have. She will not be able to keep up with her friends and do the activities that she enjoys. She will become tired and lack the energy to study.

Here is a link to a great site: No Butts about It; Smoking Makes Asthma Worse
http://www.aaaai.org/media/news_releases/2 004/02/020204.stm

Are you paying for her tuition? Withdrawing you aid for that that might help, because there is no point for her to go if she continues smoking.
|
Users who thank mominashoe for this post: Bridget 

User Profile
replied June 2nd, 2008
I have Asthma my self, I mean I wouldnt sit here smoke because that worsens my condition. I'm really sorry about your daughter, man she's really just WORSENING her condition. http://www.asthma.com/asthma_and_smoking.h tml It depends how bad her asthma is, what effects her, how long it lasts, what do you guys do for treatments, maintainence, medication and all of that.
|

replied June 2nd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
show her pictures of a decayed lung due to smoking.
show her how much money she would save if shes not smoking. smokes arent cheap.
get your doctor to explain to her how smoking is bad for her condition.
..i dont see how withdrawing her aid for college would make her stop smoking...she could just find different ways in paying for school and continue to smoke.
explain to her that smoking is not something thats healthy, it can lead to lung cancer, heart problems, make her unactive, make your skin look like leather, and make you age faster which is not pretty at all. leaves your hair smelling like crap and your clothes smelling the same way.
i know its not much, but it could help..
|

User Profile
replied June 3rd, 2008
krystineM wrote:
show her pictures of a decayed lung due to smoking.
show her how much money she would save if shes not smoking. smokes arent cheap.
get your doctor to explain to her how smoking is bad for her condition.
..i dont see how withdrawing her aid for college would make her stop smoking...she could just find different ways in paying for school and continue to smoke.
explain to her that smoking is not something thats healthy, it can lead to lung cancer, heart problems, make her unactive, make your skin look like leather, and make you age faster which is not pretty at all. leaves your hair smelling like crap and your clothes smelling the same way.
i know its not much, but it could help..
Yeah all of this input, feedback should be very helpful to her. yes pointr Razz pointr yes
|

replied December 13th, 2008
OK this is hard to combat - If you try to persuade her to stop by showing images of decayed lungs and stuff, you will seem like a winging parent in the eyes of a 19 year old.
If you tell her to stop because she has ashma she will feel like it is unfair, or singled out.
So it really is hard.
For the time being, make sure she has a good diet of fruits, and vegies, lots of water. Good food certianly wont make things worse.
|