Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Inflamed cheek tissue

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
Monday I had oral surgery done to extract all four of my wisdom teeth. The procedure was done with a general anesthetic and, as far as I could tell, ran smoothly (they didn't cut my gums too far nor my cheek and the entire procedure was over in about 30minutes). I left the hospital with my face swollen, as expected. The next day only my left cheek was swollen; I found a small lump - not normal swelling. Later it started to puff into my mouth and for two days I couldn't close my jaw, the swelling pushed my inner cheek onto my teeth.
The lump also began to hurt. It started as a very thin, mild, pulsing pain and it's now a dull, irritating, pulsing pain that comes with a headache. My temperature also jumps around, going anywhere from 98.4 to 99.8 in a day. I called the oral surgeon and they scheduled an appointment for next Monday but I don't know if I can wait til then. I would like a possible diagnoses, my dentist prescribed the chlorhexidine but there hasn't been a change.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 27th, 2008
General Q and A Answer A5177
Current medical status: Lump in left cheek, slight swelling around it. Dull pain radiating both from the lump and wisdom tooth areas. Had wisdom tooth impact surgery three days ago.
Current medical treatment: Salt water rinses hourly, half Vicodin every few hours for pain management, chlorhexidine gluconate rinse in morning and before bed.

There might be a tissue in your cheek that is inflamed. Infection is not very probable and antibiotics are not necessary. What you might want to try are over-the counter anti-inflammatory products. For example, ibuprofen or aloe-containing products might help a lot to decrease the swelling and ease the symptoms.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.