Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

infection from IV ?

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
My wife had her gallbladder removed about a week ago, Everything is going fine, cept she has noticed very bad pain in the inner of her right arm just above the elbow (where her IV was). Its feels kinda hard and the skin has weird red splotches like rashes the are small about the size of a nickel each. That part of her arm is very very sensitive to the touch, and if she applies any pressure to it or anything, She also cannot fully extend her arm as it hurts, she can apply muscle IE doing a curl etc etc.

EDIT: I forgot to add that there is some mild bruising, nothing bad, but you can see it.

Is it an infection from the IV? A reaction? I have had IVs a few times before, she also had IVs when she was pregnant and didnt have this reaction.

Thanks everyone!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 27th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Did you mention this to the doctor?
|

replied July 30th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
How long was the IV in for? Was it checked often on each shift? Dressing changes are very important during IV theropy. And they must be done under sterile techniques. Was the IV tubing changed while you had it in?
IV invasivness is a perfect set up for bacteria if not treated correctly. Believe it or not, a hospital setting is the worst place you could be to get an infection. If you did'nt have one when you went in, chances are good you will when you are discharged. Just a matter of fact. Germs just have a tendency to overpower the any area you are in. Nurses, doctors and staff carry them all over the place.
IMHO IV sites are the most neglected thing there is.
|

replied October 9th, 2011
Yes!If you want to get sick the hospital is easiest place to do so!Nasty!My wife has swollen area at and above/below and inside the elbow,lumpy(hard),very red and itchy!She's going for a PET scan tomorrow for possible cancer in lung kidney and lymph nodes!She did have IV in this arm 2 wks. ago!I,m hoping it's from the IV!Thaqnk you all Ty Millsaps
|