Medical Questions > Abortion > Medical Abortion Forum

Infection after abortion?

Must Read
A D&C is a standard procedure. But it can be scary when you don't know what to expect. Learn about what happens during dilation and curettage to prepare yoursel...
Dilation and curettage, or D & C for short, is a procedure that is used to diagnose and treat a number of womens health conditions. What are some goals of a D a...
A D&C usually is free of problems, and the recovery period for the procedure is short. But knowing about possible complications can help you detect problems ea...
I had a surgical abortion a little over 2 weeks ago. Now I have a low grade fever. For the past at least 4 days my temperature has been at least 99 degrees, and then at times it goes up to 100 and last night it was it's highest at 101.5. I also have swollen lymph nodes on my neck and under my chin. I called the abortion clinic and the doctor said that it if it were due to the abortion, I'd have swollen lymph nodes in my legs/thighs and heavy bleeding and cramping, which I don't. She said she thinks it's just a virus. I'm scheduled to go back in on Wednesday, but in the meantime I'm feeling run down and the fever comes and goes. Most of the time it's just 99 or so. I don't have health insurance. Should I go to the emergency room anyway? Or wait until Monday and go to a low cost clinic to see if they can help me? Or just wait until Wednesday for my follow up appointment? I don't know what to do and I'm all alone and my now ex boyfriend has abandoned me. Also to make matters worse I am broke and I work as a waitress and so my job can be physically demanding. Also I know this was not smart of me but I put a tampon in a few days ago so I could swim. Help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 2nd, 2009
Community Volunteer
If you had an infection due to your abortion, your doctor is absolutely right that you would be cramping and bleeding heavily and that your lymph nodes in your groin would be swollen. I had a uterine infection (not due to an abortion but due to my water breaking early)and it is worse than labor pains. It makes you feel like someone is shredding your uterus with a paper shredder and along with blood, sometimes there is puss, sorry about tmi, but that can happen. I tend to agree with your doctor, it is probably a virus. With bacterial infections of the uterus, the fever you have will get very high, at least 102. Mine shot up to 105.4 and they had to do an emergency c-section and right after they had to cool me down even more, as if the OR was not cold enough. The tampon in for a bit so you can swim, not so smart, but its not like you have been wearing them day in and day out. I would just wait to see your doc unless anything changes and you start to have bad cramps, bleeding or your fever spikes suddenly.
|

replied February 3rd, 2009
re motherofhighspiritedones
Thanks mother, I appreciate your response. I went in for my 3 week follow-up appointment for the abortion, and the doctor said everything healed normally and there was no sign of infection. I also told her I inserted a light tampon and she didn't seem too concerned since I looked normal and healthy. I'm now taking antibiotics for the other symptoms and waiting for them to go away. Thanks again for the help.
|

replied April 28th, 2011
I had a abortion one week ago and for the past 3 days I have felt like I have a yeast infection, but over the counter creams are not helping. What should I do?
|

replied May 27th, 2011
i had a surgical abortion on thursday(19th may 2011) was absolutley fine no pain noe bleeding spomke tot he gp about it he said it was fine nothing to worry about but then by monday i was in unbelievable pain and then by monday night started bleeding extremly heavy, got rushed into a and e and was admitted i had a scan tuesday morning and was told there was tissue left and i had a severe infection for 2 days i was on iv antibiotics pain killers and on a drip to keep me hydrated due to my temperature, i am happy to say that i am home and well again still resting and taking it easy , but i listened to my body and caught it in time had i of waited i could have risked having to have a hystorectomy at the age of 24 , if u think something is wrong go to your gp or a and e
|

replied March 21st, 2012
This is very helpful going thruuthe samething good to know ur fine.
|

replied April 1st, 2012
I had a surgical abortion three months ago. ive had 2 periods since. i went back two weeks later for a follow up and the clinic said everything was normal, i showed no infection signs. i also went to the gyn about 2 months later because of some lower ab bloating i was having. they thought it was bladder infection and it wasnt. but she checked to make sure nothing was left after the procedure and for cysts on two separate occassions. all that is normal and she claims there was nothing wrong with the procedure.

but is it even possible to get this uncomfort two months later? or is this more than likely form something else since my GYN said nothing was left and the procedure went fine, as well as the clinic where i had it done?
|

replied June 27th, 2012
help
I had an abortion three weeks ago. I have my check up in two days. I'm experiencing foul smelling discharge and it Burns a little when I pee. What do you think it could be? Help please!
|