Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

infant MRI results

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
My 11 week old had an MRI and these are the results..Can someone tell me what it means in lay terms. I know about the delayed myelination, but I don't know what the other findings mean. I would be very appreciative..we are now 6 weeks past this and have no diagnosis and I'm trying to get a better understanding of his medical records.

FINDINGS:
BRAIN:
There is a mild symmetric CSF intensity prominence of the extra-axial spaces throughout the supratentorial and infratentorial brain. Ventricles are within normal limits, though are upper limits of normal. There multiple foci of high T2 signal within the subcortical white matter bilatererally with more linear foci of the high T2 signal seen predominantly within the parietal occipital white matter symmetrically. Myelination is closest to that of a 3 week old.
There is no diffusion restriction abnormality to indicate acute infarct. The corpus collosum is normal. There is no Chiari malformation.

CERVICAL SPINE:
The spinal alignment is normal. Signal abnormalitiy within the discs and vertebra are normal. No focal malalignment. The cord signal is normal throughout. There is no extrinsic or intrinsice mass effect. Note is made of the dependent bilateral lung opacities. The cardiomediastinal strucctures are not completely imaged and exam is not optimized for their evaluation though there is a suggestion of enlargement of the main pulmonary artery.

IMPRESSION:
1. Signal abnormalities within the white matter with delayed myelination. Primary considerations are primary hypomyelination syndromes. Demyelinating disorders (including mucopolysaccharidoses) are possible, but may be less likely given age. Continued evaluation may clarity etiology.
2. Suggestion of main pulmonary arterial enlargement, though exam is not optimized for evaluation of the cardiomediastinal structures. Correlation with clinical findings will likely determine any further evaluation.
Did you find this post helpful?
|