Medical Questions > Cancer > Lymphoma Forum

Indications of a possible blood disorder

User Profile
I've been feeling ill for about a month and a half now: extremely fatigued and have had painless swollen lymph nodes in numerous places (groin, neck, don't even know where else to check etc). Strep test and monospot were negative. I took a blood test 6 weeks ago and the only irregularity the doc found was an underactive thyroid, and wanted me back in 6-8 weeks for another blood test. However, very recently within the past couple of weeks I have noticed that the veins in my hands have become clearly visible throughout the palm area and even into the fingers (they have nvr been like this before). also sometimes the skin on my palms and fingers where the veins are now visible are becoming mottled, that is, red and white blotchy patches (it's not from being hot or cold; it's not actually on the skin like a rash, more like under the skin from blood or something). I've noticed more and more painless lymph nodes around my neck and head are poppin up. What could this be? Lymphoma? Infection?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 10th, 2010
Lymphoma Answer A11853

According to the data you provided (enlarged lymph nodes in different areas of the body, new enlarged lymph nodes detected all the time in remote locations, strep test and monospot negative), you might have experienced a blood disorder.

A complete blood count is supposed to detect blood disorders. Lymphoma can neither be confirmed nor ruled out solely on the symptoms you reported. The symptoms of lymphoma include enlarged lymph nodes, night sweating, fever of unknown origin and weight loss. Definitive diagnosis of lymphoma might be given with a microscopic examination of the blood and with a biopsy of the enlarged lymph node. Infection is less likely since it would have affected the lymph nodes that were close to the infection first and then spread to the other lymph nodes.

You might want to visit a hematologist for a physical examination and blood tests. An ultrasound scan of the abdomen might show an enlarged spleen in a lymphoma. A biopsy of an enlarged lymph node might be recommended. The treatment would depend on the definitive diagnosis. If lymphoma is detected, the treatment might include chemotherapy or radiotherapy or both.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lymphoma , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.