Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Indications of a hormonal imbalance

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
I am 37 yrs old and my husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for 5 months now. For the last 4 months I've had light bleeding at 8-9 dpo, followed by negative preg tests, and then my period 14 dpo. What could be going on?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 20th, 2009
Menstruation Answer A7552
Given the data you provided (light bleeding 8-9 days after ovulation and menstrual period 14 days after ovulation), you might be experiencing a hormonal imbalance. Having a menstrual period 14 days after ovulation is completely normal because the second phase of the menstrual cycle is exactly fourteen days long (the “yellow body” also known as corpus luteum (lat.) can survive for only 14 days; if conception occurred, the role of the corpus luteum is performed by the placenta when it is fully developed; if there is no fertilized egg, then the corpus luteum is wasted), while the first phase (from the start of the menstrual period till ovulation) might vary in length.

Light bleeding approximately one week after ovulation might be actually implantation bleeding. Implantation bleeding might occur when the fertilized egg is embedded in the inner lining of the uterus. The bleeding is usually light and pink. However, it cannot be repetitive every month without miscarriages every month, which is highly unlikely, because the pregnancy

Tests should have shown positive results for pregnancy.

You might want to visit a gynecologist for a physical examination and hormonal laboratory tests. The results might detect changes in the normal hormonal production pattern. What caused these changes might be more difficult to identify. An ultrasound scan might be asked for to check the condition of the ovaries and if they are prepared for ovulation. The look of the ovaries in the second phase of the menstrual cycle might show irregularities with the corpus luteum and subsequent causes for the bleeding.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.