Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

incisional hernia repair

I just had an incisional hernia repair operation. I developed this hernia after a bowel operation 8 years ago. My question is what degree of pain should I be experiencing after an op such as this. When I first came round after the anasthetic and was lying prostrate on the trolley, not moving I developed a terrible spasm of internal pain, like being stabbed with a large kitchen knife. Is this normal? The nurse jokingly said, oh your body is coming back to life, waking up.
It didnt feel much like that and the spasms came and went. I am home now and not getting these spasms as I am not really moving round too much, a bit scared to do too much. Feel quite a bit of pain and discomfort and am worried about what those internal stabbings of pain could mean? Any suggestions? When can I drive my car after this op and go out and about shopping etc.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 23rd, 2009
Unfortunately, spasms of the abdominal wall muscles are rather common following abdominal operations. Hopefully, you are on the mend by now.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.