Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Inability to burp?

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
Is it possible to be unable to burp? All my life i have never really burped. Basically, i just make a weird awhhh noise 1000 times. That is the closes i have been able to burp.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper cutekitty4x4
|

User Profile
replied December 25th, 2011
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Burping (also known as belching, ructus, or eructation) involves the release of gas from the digestive tract (mainly esophagus and stomach) through the mouth.

In most parts of the world, especially in formal situations, audible burping is considered impolite.

Gas is typically swallowed when eating or drinking and subsequently expelled during burping.

Almost all normal individuals, are able to burp with no issues. In case if you feel abnormal, you might consult with a doctor for a examination and seek proper counselling and advice.

|

replied February 2nd, 2012
There's another thread on this same site with several individuals sharing a similar problem. There are words of encouragement (NO, you're NOT crazy and you're NOT alone), as well as a little helpful advice. Please come look...

http://ehealthforum.com/health/inability-t o-burp-t209796.html
|
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.