Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

Impulse Control-Pulling On My Hair

Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....
User Profile
For most of my life, I've had impulsive trouble with doing certain things like pulling my hair out in certain areas, to saying random names I come up with, and many others. So many of the impulsive actions/behaviors are all just random and abstract and I cannot pinpoint why I would even want to do half of them. I'm 21 and have noticed this since I was 8 years old. I started noticing in class I was just squirming all over the place and constantly wanted to move from my desk.

After school was out, I would go home and immediately start trying to relax from the day but couldn't because I would just start walking all around the house. I would get into fights with my family and got pretty hooked to video games and large large amounts of caffeine. I'm talking 6-8 Mountain Dews a day for months to years.

I still feel this way to a much lesser extent, but lately I am noticing a lot of those sorts of things coming back. I'm consuming a ton of caffeine again which is making me quite hypertensive, I'm starting to pull my hair out from my neck, armpits, pubic area regions, toe hair, and hair on my legs and wrists. I fidget with my facial hair and started to pull that out as well.

I also have had a really tough time sleeping. I just toss and turn for ages at night and actually get up while trying to sleep anywhere from 5-10 times a night before I finally go to sleep. It is incredibly hard to fight the desire to want to play games, to consume caffeine, to say random names like Jack White, Roger Green, Fred Brown, etc.

I'm really frustrated with this and It plagues me every day. What could help this?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 20th, 2017
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. Impulsive and obsessive behaviour with lack of sleep, over intake of stimulants like soda ,beverages or coffee , addiction to video games, fist fights around you with people. All indicates an obsessive compulsive disorder with likely impulsive behaviour. It needs very thorough psychiatric evaluation, a lot of sessions of psychotherapy and rehabilitative programs. You will need to adapt good diet and lifestyle and avoid all the stimulants. Low doses of antidepressants can be started with and complete evaluation is mandatory . Consult a good Psychiatrist near by and let them help.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Addiction, Recovery , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.