Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Impossible to fall asleep!

I'm a 19 year old girl. Since I was about 12, I've been suffering from insomnia. I have fallen asleep before 3am probably only about 50 times in the past 7 years. Sometimes I cannot fall asleep until 6 or 7am and I wake up several times each night. This made school very difficult for me (coupled with my depression). When I was 16 I began taking various sleep medications my doctor prescribed. The pills either didn't effect me at all, regardless of the dose; or knocked me out and I couldn't be woken up fully for 12+ hours after I took it. I have managed to (through depriving myself of ANY sleep for a night) fall asleep before midnight on several occasions. However, within a week, I'm right back to lying awake in bed all night.
Now that I'm no longer in school, finding and keeping a job has been very difficult. Waking up before noon when I'm not asleep until 6 in the morning is not very easy at all, and when I don't start looking for work until 1 or 2 in the afternoon, most managers have left for the day. And on the occasions when I've had jobs, the longer I have them the worse my sleeping gets. I end up getting to the point where I won't sleep more than maybe 4 or 5 hours in a week.

I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion as to how I can manage my insomnia to improve my life?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper awilcox
|

replied October 17th, 2011
Insomnia is difficult to address; however, there are some things you can try. Try taking a warm bath at night, this helps you calm down and tires you out as well. Furthermore, try making a bedtime ritual. Like how parents read to their kids before they go to bed, you can do the same. Try finding something to do every night before you go to bed. This trains your mind and body by letting it know that it is time to go to bed.

If you have electronics in your bedroom, either take them out or unplug all of them. The blue lights from the electronics can keep you awake.

I hope some of this helps.

Andrew
|

replied October 21st, 2011
Insomnia
Hi, I have exactly the same problem, tried everything possible, but cannot fall asleep. I'm on Tripoline now, and at last that helps, still have bad nights, but much better than before. Good luck
|

replied December 8th, 2011
Just do a search online, there are plenty of websites on falling asleep and insomnia, such as
http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/sle ep/insomnia.pdf
|

replied December 8th, 2011
oh, it is so sorry to hear this . I have got this problem when I'm in senior school , it is so terrible. Then I will keep myself calm down before sleep, and if there is some problem in life , I will work them out right now . then I can get a better sleep. Good luck to you .
|