Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cystic Fibrosis Forum

Implantofix- what kind of excercise can I or can't I do?

I am a Cystic Fibrosis patient and I have recently have had an implantofix placed in my chest for my medical treatment. Beccuase of my health condition I have to excercise and stretch mu lung muscles every day, my question is, can I do yoga or stretching movements with my arms with my implantofix? what kind of excercise can I or can't I do?
Thanks!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 10th, 2014
Thank you for asking!
Implantofix is a vascular access drug delivery system and it is ok and fine to do any day to day healthy activity with it. It does not contra indicate any exercise or yoga with it, rather exercise and yoga would increase the endurance of exercise which is a good thing. Regular exercise increases physical fitness in patients with cystic fibrosis. Upper body exercises, such as canoe paddling, may increase respiratory muscle endurance. get a physical therapist for further exercise for upper body to help the cystic fibrosis.
In general, a normal diet with additional energy and unrestricted fat intake is recommended. A high-energy and high-fat diet, in addition to supplemental vitamins (especially fat soluble) and minerals, is recommended to compensate for malabsorption and the increased energy demand of chronic inflammation.

because of various physical activities and eating habits, assessment and modification of energy requirements is based on growth and weight gain. Special consideration is given to female patients with a potential for delayed puberty because of malnutrition, patients with diabetes mellitus, and patients with liver disease.

Additional salt intake is recommended for patients living in hot climates, especially during exercise or activities that cause excessive sweating.

Nutritional supplements in the form of either high-energy oral preparations (eg, Scandishake) or enteral feeds (eg, elemental formulas, high-fat mixtures) via nasogastric tube or gastrostomy may be indicated in some patients. In one study, gastrostomy tube placement has been shown to significantly improve percentile body mass index and percent-predicted FEV1 in male patients and female pediatric patients. Lung function changes after placement did not depend on the level of lung function at placement.
The primary goals of CF treatment include the following:

Maintaining lung function as near to normal as possible by controlling respiratory infection and clearing airways of mucus
Administering nutritional therapy (ie, enzyme supplements, multivitamin and mineral supplements) to maintain adequate growth
Managing complications
Mild acute pulmonary exacerbations of CF can be treated successfully at home with the following measures:

Increasing the frequency of airway clearance
Inhaled bronchodilator treatment
Chest physical therapy and postural drainage
Increasing the dose of the mucolytic agent dornase alfa
Use of oral antibiotics (eg, fluoroquinolones)
Medications used to treat CF may include the following:

Pancreatic enzyme supplements
Multivitamins (including fat-soluble vitamins)
Mucolytics
Nebulized, inhaled, oral, or intravenous antibiotics
Bronchodilators
Anti-inflammatory agents
Agents to treat associated conditions or complications (eg, insulin, bisphosphonates)
Agents devised to reverse abnormalities in chloride transport (eg, ivacaftor )
Inhaled hypertonic saline
Surgical therapy may be required for the treatment of the following respiratory complications:

Respiratory - Pneumothorax, massive recurrent or persistent hemoptysis, nasal polyps, persistent and chronic sinusitis
GI - Meconium ileus, intussusception, gastrostomy tube placement for supplemental feeding, rectal prolapse
PArdon my explanation for a simple implantofix, but you can do any exercise for that CF. Implantofix wont be a trouble or obstruction.
take care
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cystic Fibrosis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.