Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Impacted wisdom tooth and sinus pressure ?

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
Hi. I've been suffering with debilitating sinus pressure and fatigue for some time. I was diagnosed with chronic sinusitis in Dec '08 and surgery was recommended but i decided to wait and try alternatives before resorting to surgery. The symptoms continued to worsen so i went back to ENT in September last year. The consultant said i was clear and sent me for another ct scan. It came back clear.

The symptoms have gotten worse and are making me really ill. Food intolerance was suggested a few times so i've cut out dairy and bread but have not seen any improvement. I also have a food intolerance test kit which will give me a positive or negative.

But i don't think it is a food intolerance and the only thing left i'm aware of that could be causing it is an impacted wisdom tooth. It's on the upper left side and sticks out the gum. it doesn't feel like there's any connection between it and my sinuses and it's not causing any pain. What's odd is that the symptoms weren't being caused buy the chronic sinusitis. Confused

Any hope that makes some kinda sense! I'm really struggling with focus and concentration cause of the severity of the symptoms. It feels like there is chewing gum stuck in my sinuses right now! Sad

Cheers.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper wanderingjodi
|

User Profile
replied January 12th, 2010
Community Volunteer
IMO, the only way that you are ever going to find this out is to have the wisdom tooth taken out......Good luck....

Caroline
|

replied January 23rd, 2010
CarolineEF wrote:
IMO, the only way that you are ever going to find this out is to have the wisdom tooth taken out......Good luck....

Caroline

Thanks. I was just wanting to know if it was possible! I've eliminated just about everything else. I saw ent during the week and the consultant had a proper look with the endoscopic camera and told me sinuses are clear. Thinks it might be facial pain syndrome and has recommended i see a neurologist next. Can't believe 5 years later they still don't know what's causing my symptoms. Sad
|

User Profile
replied January 23rd, 2010
Community Volunteer
Either way good luck....Keep us advised...Take care...

Caroline
|

replied March 6th, 2010
It would make sense, IMO if they had something to do with each other....

I have had sinus problems for as long as I can remember, and I'm always getting sinus infections and such, and the pain and stuffiness is usually on the right side of my face. I just got my wisdom teeth out this week, and it turns out my upper right wisdom tooth was impacted. Now I could see that that tooth was pretty close to my sinuses in the x-rays the dentist took, but I never really put it together!

Let us know if this was contributing to your problem!
|

replied October 2nd, 2010
wisdom tooth, cyst, sinus pan
I've had horrific sinus headaches for the past few years. Over a year ago i had my top wisdom tooth filled and it seemed to increase the pressure even further. Recently the headaches became more unbearable and far more often but i chalked that up to being 4 months pregnant. I treated them every way that i could with little relief. THEN yesterday - PING!, while not eating or drinking, the same tooth spontaneously crumbled/burst in my mouth. I went to the dentist today and he pulled it. On the end of the root, was a large, very hard cyst. It had eaten away at much of the root and the dentist thought it was abnormally hard, unlike the liquid filled ones that generally burst upon extraction. It was attached to the floor of my sinus cavity. Honestly..the minute he pulled the tooth...i felt a connection to my sinuses. Almost like a suction type feeling. I knew instantly that there was a relation to the sinus problems. He agreed. It is 5 hours later and although my jaw and the tooth site are certainly tender, i have no headache! Trust me...i would have gone through much worse to get rid of the headache! How my original dentist never saw it in an xray is beyond me, but thank goodness for the on-call emerg dentist who fixed me up.
|

replied December 6th, 2010
Unexplainable Pain
Try Atlas Profilax.
Accept no other.
If your in pain, which I was, you'll try anything.
I wish I'd tryed Atlas Profilax first.
But I went with all the modern medacine which in the end was no help. My doctors didn't even want to hear about the Atlas treatment I had. But it worked. If it isn't called Atlas Profilax (Swedish Procedure) then don't do it. There is a chiropractor form of this treatment which is crap! Take it or leave it. Good luck.
|

replied November 5th, 2012
Atlas profilax was a waste of time and money in my case. I have been suffering from sinus pressure and headaches for over 8 years. I have been to numerous doctors and had many tests and have had no luck in finding the problem. I think, after reading online about wisdom teeth, that I will have one of mine removed. The only wisdom tooth that came in for me is my top left, and it didn't even come in all the way. About 8 years ago I had my back left molar removed and after that happened my top left wisdom tooth decided it didn't want to hide anymore. It shifted a little bit and almost broke the surface. I am desperately hoping that if I have it removed that the pain will go away.
|

replied May 7th, 2013
I suffer from sinus pressure as well for the past 6 months, came out of nowhere after lunch one day...never went away...I am miserable. So miserable that I got all 5 of my root canals removed. That so for has not worked (though I do not regret the decision, not yet at least),,,,

Departed, how long did you do Salt Room Therapy for (Haleo Therapy) did that help at all? Have you done the flip flush with the neti pot yet? maybe with a H2O2 solution? ( I have not tried either of these until my dental surgery recovery is complete since my sinus membrane was punctured)..I hope the salt room therapy works, I have hope that it will reach the ethmoid and sphenoid sinuses which is probably where the bug is hiding out...Please Help!
|

replied May 17th, 2014
I had yearly sinus infections that got worse every spring. Finally I realized after reading up that it was likely my two upper unerrupted impacted wisdom teeth. I had had my two lower wisdom teeth removed when i was 18 years old because they were coming in and partially impacted. At that time my uppers did not even show on xray. I scheduled a surgery to remove both of my uppers and the oral surgeon only managed to get one out in the time alloted. He also let me know, it was the worst he had ever done. It was years later when trying on motorcycle helmets that I realized the second tooth was becoming unbearable. I found a great oral surgeon, he had it out in 10 minutes ( he was an 80 year old marathon runner, expert). Its rare now that i have major sinus issues, I have only had one sinus infection since the surgery and I don't get sinus migraines. Just head aches occasionally from allergies. Its huge step up. The only time I have migraines now is food allergies. ( MSG and Oregano are the culprits there).
|