Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

"if you think your crazy then your not"?

Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
I'm not really sure if I have schizophrenia, but I have a feeling that I do. For ex I have been suffering with intrusive thoughts for quite some time. I have also been living in a fantasy world in my head since I was eleven. I tried to discard it as my way of coping with my childhood. If all that isn't bad enough, I also have a fear that my neighbors are reading my mind. I have a hard time separating my paranoia from reality. I really don't even know if im ill because my therapist told me "if you think your crazy then your not".
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper oopsagain
|

replied February 23rd, 2012
Active User, very eHealthy
I've always enjoyed that little comment.

"if you think that you are crazy then you are not."

Makes no sense at all does it.

Can one think they are crazy and not be, or would that just be called stupid, which could be considered a type of crazy. Imagine getting that one wrong, thinking that you were but you weren't, there is a difference you know between thinking that you are crazy and being afraid that you might be or become a schizophrenic, just saying.
|

replied February 26th, 2012
Thanks for the response, anyway what do you think about all this?
|

replied February 27th, 2012
Active User, very eHealthy
The therapists say that all of the time, I was only going by their definition of it, I don't have "schizophrenia", it was only an or some evil spirits, they tortured me for a long time, still are actually, who cares about the number though it doesn't matter.

I actually do think that Im crazy, as in human though, we assume and do nothing but destroy, Im ashamed to be human actually. Think about our history, like blindfolded fools marching off of a cliff and grinning the whole way, and the social boundaries make me want to vomit.

I to lived in a fantasy world for the first part of my life, it felt safe and happy and even entertaining at times, I actually wanted to do it because the delusion felt so good, but no more, I saw, and i see alot of things and no more will I enjoy, it's nothing but awful, although nature is beautiful It is awful for me and you and those poor people down there.

Intrusive thoughts are definately a symptom, I have them to, but after my experience they aren't only hallucination and delusion, i even knew why I was having delusions, it was the ghost giving them to me, and now that i consider it his little meaningless helpers as well.

they can even make you hallucinate and see things and think things, so what though right? Gotta go to work in the morning, who cares.

People don't even think about anything anymore, the world has become a nightmare for everyone.

Paranoia is reality for our kind, and everyone knows it, why act different? What do you think that they want out of you exactly? do you think that it's good what they want? Why do you think that they prod you and poke you with cruelty exactly? Muscleing you into doing it is all that they do. bunch of sick f#$ks is all that they really are. And quite ignorant at that even. All that they'll ever have is pain, when things work properly they will have nothing, and it will swing back.

So, to sum it all up, just go to work. And don't ask questions.
|

User Profile
replied February 23rd, 2012
Experienced User
This is a 'Catch 22' kind of logic that states that if you can prove that you are crazy then you aren't crazy. The idea being that the process by which you would deem yourself crazy would employ logic and reasoning that an insane person wouldn't possess. Therefore, by this logic, an insane person would actually have no realisation of their insanity and would actually believe they were normal.

This is by no means a watertight logic although there are some merits in the thinking. Many people with mental illness are aware that something is not quite right about themselves because they compare themselves to their peers. If 99.9% of people do one thing and you do another then you might wonder why that is so.

Besides, when talking about the vast majority of mental illness we are not talking about anything close to insanity. Your therapist quoted a phrase which was ill fitting to your particular concerns. Schizophrenia isn't insanity, it doesn't make you a crazy person. Very many people with schizophrenia live perfectly healthy and normal lives.
|

User Profile
replied March 7th, 2012
THE DOC SAID, "If you think your crazy then you're not".

Thus in turn, "If you think your sane then you're crazy".

That puts the so called Schizophrenics one step higher on the sanity ladder, when compared to Doctors.
|
Tags: childhood, head
Quick Reply