Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

If I can't digest fat, do I gain weight from it?

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
Hi, I'm new here but I've had gallbladder disease for over two years. The pain only recently got bad enough that I tried to go get the surgery to have the gallbladder taken out in October 2008. However, when I went, I was told I did not need the surgery. Therefore, I'm dealing with the symptoms with home remedies and diet. I had stopped eating most animal fat for several months. Now that I'm feeling better, I'm again eating meat but not on a regular basis.

I'm trying to figure out if I could do not gain weight because I am not digesting fats. I can't find the answer to this. I ate a bunch of stuff yesterday and today I normally don't eat because of gallstones - beef, sausage, bacon, eggs - and had no "noticeable problems." Normally, I get nauseous and/or vomit while eating and soon after, have a gallbladder attack - pain in the mid/upper right abdomen or pain in the mid/upper left abdomen (Pancreatitis). Although I didn't have any nausea or pain, I did have normal-colored, loose stools today. No noticeable greasiness. So my question is - since this food may be going right through me, can I eat as much fatty food as I want when I'm not having negative symptoms - the ones that make it where I can't stand to even look at the food, such as nausea and the gallbladder pains - and not gain weight? Hurrying to the bathroom is actually, for me, tolerable.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 29th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Why would you want to eat as much fatty foods as you want without negative symptoms?

Your gallbladder problems may be in remission right now...so give it a try, eat like you use to and see how long it will take to get back to your ole self...

By the way, weight gain is not just from fatty foods...
|

replied March 30th, 2009
If I can't digest fat, do I gain weight from it?
I don't want to eat too much fat but I'm just saying, will I gain weight from the "fat" I eat? If not, I can use the calories on something else, carbs maybe.
I am eating something like I used to, which, as I said isn't causing too many problems right now. It's just that I know I'm not digesting the fat, which could be good or not. That's what I'm wondering.
|

replied December 4th, 2009
I too suffered a lot from the same problem. When I searched for a solution my friend suggested a good natural product CHEATmeals® which is a good fat & carbohydrate BLOCKER without any side effects. Now I am feeling very much better. I got the complete information from the site Hflsolutions.com. I hope this will be helpful for your problem..
|