Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C Forum

ibuprofen, acetaminophen, and alcohol

Must Read
Hepatitis can lead to serious liver damage. We cover basics about liver anatomy and define hepatitis here. Plus info on the different types of hepatitis....
What are the major causes of Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C? Start here to learn what puts you at risk so that you can avoid the serious liver disease...
A list of the symptoms of each type of Hepatitis here. Plus, when you should seek medical attention for Hep signs and symptoms....
I have two related questions and the first one is this:

The other night I had a 24 oz beer after taking tylenol. I had completely forgotten about the issue with mixing acetaminophen and alcohol. Could this have already done some damage to my liver?

My second question which is related is this:

I'll often take ibuprofen when I have a bad headache from a hang over. I don't take it if its no so bad but if its bad I do. Its the next day after I get up, not while I'm drinking. Is this dangerous, and if so is it as dangerous as taking ibuprofen while drinking?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 10th, 2011
Hello and thank you for posting your health query on E health Forum.

Taking regular dose of acetaminophen with alcohol does not cause any major effects or damage on the normal liver.

Taking NSAIDs (Ibuprofen) in regular prescription doses either with alcohol or the day after alcohol ingestion is also safe.

According to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, drinking in moderation (PER DAY) is defined as having no more than 1 drink per day for women and no more than 2 drinks per day for men.

A standard drink is equal to 13.7 grams (0.6 ounces) of pure alcohol. Generally, this amount of pure alcohol is found in

12-ounces of beer.
8-ounces of malt liquor.
5-ounces of wine.
1.5-ounces or a “shot” of 80-proof distilled spirits or liquor (e.g., gin, rum, vodka, or whiskey).

I hope this helps.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.