Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

IBS and swelling in pelvic area.

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
Okay.. so I have had some weirdo things going on with my body lately. I am 21 years old and my symptoms started around January 10th. I was laying in bed when all of a sudden my stomach just started hurting extremely bad. It felt like menstrual cramps but to the 10th degree. I then found myself a little nauseous and TMI I know.. but I had loose bowel movements. Shortly after this episode, I have had trouble with excess intestinal gas and also Constipation with distention in my abdomen and pelvic area. I thought I had IBS because I have had the symptoms for it. I am concerned because these symptoms have still been going on.. I have had some breakthrough bleeding between periods and my periods are light with mild to sometimes severe cramps and I am on Birth Control. I have noticed lately.. that it's either my lymph nodes in my groin area.. or either my ovaries or something are swollen and painless on both sides. I have NO idea what is going on and plan on seeing my doctor soon to check these things out. Any info. or insight to maybe what could be going on?

Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 30th, 2012
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum

The first possibility for your symptoms is of course IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) which can cause such issues.Along with that if you have started the contraceptive pills recently then that can cause symptoms as spotting in between periods,pelvic pain,cramps etc.These symptoms due to pills would subside within few months.
Some suggestions:
1.Certain foods, such as cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts and legumes (beans) may worsen bloating and gassiness.

2.Dietary fiber may lessen symptoms.You should drink plenty of water, and avoid soda, which may cause gas and abdominal discomfort.

3.Eating smaller meals may lessen the incidence of cramping and diarrhea.

It is difficult to give exact diagnosis without clinical examination.Kindly visit a Physician for evaluation.
Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.