Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

I want to be anorexic but I can't pull myself to?

Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
User Profile
Hi, I just want to know if there is anything wrong with me? I believe I am fat.. But not too fat. I am 5feet and 7inches tall and weigh about 123 pounds. I know that is good for my height to be that weight, but I don't think it is. I look at people from magazines, friends, random people on the street and think that I should be that skinny! If I did this I would be that skinny. I want to be that skinny. I have tried to be anorexic but I hate the sound my stomach makes when it is hungry, I cave in and eat. I will never make myself through up, I find it disgusting! But i was wondering if there is anything wrong with me if I want to be anorexic but I can't pull myself to actually be anorexic?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied September 8th, 2011
Eating Disorders Answer A26638
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

From the description it seems that you have body dysmorphic disorder.

Based on the height and weight, mentioned here, you have a BMI (body mass index) of 19.26, which falls under the normal range of body weight.

Here is a description of BMI for your knowledge:-

BMI less than 18.5 = underweight
BMI 18.5 - 24.9 = normal
BMI over 25 = overweight
BMI over 30 = obese

Inspite of knowing this that you are having a normal weight, feelings or actions to reduce your weight to much lower levels can be counter productive and can cause long term problems.

Being more skinny - does not necessarily mean that you should be underweight. Comparing yourself with other individuals is not the right way. You should have confidence in yourself and your appearance.

You might benefit by consulting a psychiatrist, who can counsel you and provide proper help.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Eating Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.