Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Nausea Forum

I wake up every night feeling sick

Must Read
You've probably had a case of food poisoning at least one in your life...but what types of food poisoning exist? Basics on food poisoning here....
Not everyone will get sick from contaminated food. Learn who is more at risk of food poisoning, and what factors increase bacterial growth here....
How do you know if you've got a case of salmonella food poisoning versus e. coli? Learn the basic symptoms of food poisoning and when to seek help here....
I'm an 18 year old male, Every night I wake up 4 or 5 times feeling sick, Its like I'm on the verge of puking and it doesn't go away, I cant get back to sleep because it bugs me so much, Its almost unbearable, the only thing that will help is to take a drink of water, but that only lasts 2 or 3 minutes. Its only when I'm laying down, If I sit up for a while It fades, so I've just been getting up and watching tv for 10 or 15 minutes, and than going back to bed. It does help me get back to sleep, but I always wake up an hour or 2 later.

Every time I wake up I have to go #2, and its usually diarrhea, but its always only a little bit each time. It helps the stomach ache a little but not by much.

I also have no apatite, I feel hungry, but when I think of food It makes me feel sick, Ive been having to force allot of my food down. Its like everything is a turn off.

I had mono in February and I'm still week from it, and It still makes me sick every once in a while. I'm not sure if that is what I have now, but Its been going on for about 2 weeks now, The rest of my family got a cold a couple days ago, and now I'm starting to get it on top of what I got already.

I'm always tired because I never get any sleep, Its starting to seem like its a chore to go to bed at night. Its almost torture going through it. What can I do that will help me to feel better?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper morganfoss3
|

replied August 18th, 2009
I have the exact same thing.Im 32 and have had this problem most of my life.I have a lot of problems with stress and panic.Do you have a stressful life or are you often worried about everything?I would go see my family doctor.I ended up on zantac for acid and nausea.reflux and nausea are a common by product of being stressed.Hope that helps.
|

replied September 14th, 2009
Your post in Nov 2008
Did you ever find out what was causing the nausea you experienced at night? I have been having the same thing. Please write me.
|

replied February 16th, 2010
sick at night
sounds like your stomach is producing too much acid. see a doctor, to try medication such as Zantac, u could also try 'Molkosan' from health food shops, and cutting down eating after lunch (when it's bad I dont eat anything after lunchtime.. it works) It's a delayed reaction but the sickies at night are related to what i eat during the day & when .. also look up alkali foods (most fruit & veg) & try a mostly alkali diet for a bit. x
|

replied April 11th, 2011
feeling nausea at night, nearly 3 weeks now!
hi people, i have been feeling the same as sukow360, although i dont get cronic belly pain i get the bubbly feeling and having the need to go to do a #2 and i get the same reaction as this person to. Can this come on all of a sudden just out of no where? cause i started feeling this way straight after i was put on effexor-xr (depression tablet) so at this time i assumed it was a reaction from the tablet, at this time i was feeling sick all day and night, diareah, cold sweats, fever, vomiting, and most of all nausea, but as its been nearly 3 weeks and im only feeling sick mostly at night while im asleep, i suddenly wake up abit breathless for a matter of 3 seconds and i feel as if i have a lump i have to swallow past, but once im over the shock of waking up cause of the urge the weirdness in my throat starts to dissapear. Ive been to the docs three times, and he tells me that my tonsils are swallon and to take penicillin but i havent did that yet as i believe its not that that is causing the problem. I went to another doctor and he just my breathing and tonsils and he said no it wasnt from the tablet, i just picked up a viral infection the same time as i took the tablet and that the poison was building up in my body thats why i was feeling ok and when i started to feel sick he said it was just cause of the poison build up and releasing itself in my body again, but he told me that i didnt need to take nything cause i was over the serious part of it.. i started to relax then and my sickness got lesser and lesser duing the day, but then when night time comes it wakes me up on the verge to need to go to the toilet and get all nausea, hot and cold feelings and as soon as i put a wet face washer on my face and neck, everything starts to go back to normal and im able to sleep. putting sox on my feet seems to calm me down to while im feeling like this. i feel so weird about all this i just want to know what is going on.. is anyone else experiencing the same this? could this be that im lacking something? or is something seriously wrong? if you think u can talk to me or are going through the same thing. i do experience panic attacks while this happens faintly though but i get the feeling of worry of what is going to happen next. I am not pregnant either Smile
|

replied September 16th, 2011
Thats so weird everything you guys are saying i feel so sick upon waking in the morning i have no clue what it could be im only 21 in feb is when my symtoms first started my blood pressure was sky high i drank almost every night been clean for 6 months i also had mono in my teens and i found thAT quite strange becuz someone else also stated that im puzzled and aggervated of always feeling like crap i also have a very hard time falling asleep idk
|

replied April 14th, 2011
I too am having this problem, I am a 21 male and lead almost a zero stress life. The way this has been working with me is, I will feel fine all day then at about midnight I lay down for bed and as soon as I get laying, my stomach starts feeling like crap. It isn't a sharp or heavy pain, just a dull constant uncomfortable feeling. I can't even sleep, I will get up and go to the bathroom and puke small amounts all night. I haven't had any diarrhea however. Another thing I have noticed is that I am also getting uncomfortable hot flashes when laying under my blanket at night as the stomach pain is happening. I have got to the point that I won't even eat after 4 in the afternoon. I too will just lay in bed uncomfortable and dose off for 15 20 minutes at a time and will have delusional talks with myself and sometimes will catch myself speaking to nothing. I'm sure this has to do with nothing more than how much sleep I'm losing. It is chipping away at my sanity, it's 2:00 am here now and it's the same routine for me.... no sleep Sad If anyone has any suggestions or any idea what my issue is I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thank you.
|

replied April 14th, 2011
Hi I'm getting blood tests done on Saturday find out during the week around Thursday be sure to fill u in with the results. Fingers crossed it's nothing serious. Doc reckons it could be panic attacks. Although we feel like we are stresses free our minds may not be, it could be due to lack of sleep aswell, which seems to put your body in shock. I've been studying through the internet n monitoring all the possibilities it could be. Because we are used tto this happening every night we get used to it n automatically convince ourself that it's going to happen tonight n tomorrow etc but last night I did some more study n when ur body is weak like ours is ATM anything we think our mind becomes convinced. I feel as though it is panic attacks due to when we sleep our mind is delayed and keeps running n sends our body into a big exhaustion. Last night I told myself It was stupid panic attacks and that I need to trick my mind. I didn't think about it everytime I took a deep breath I didn't say oh here we go I just said no I'm not sick and I'm not going to be tonight and amazinly last night I got a full nights sleep without no fuss. This may sound so crazy but it's actually amazing how the body and mind works, very intelligent if u ask me. I'm going to go to bed n tell myself I'm ok and I'm not sick n see how i go tonight. All u can do is teybits all in tricking your imagination and becoming stronger then your mind. Keep me posted n I'll do the same hope u feel better soon.
|

replied April 24th, 2011
Any results on the blood test?
|

replied April 24th, 2011
feeling nausea for 3 weeks
hey there, sorry i have been limited to internet access thats why i havnt replied sooner.
my blood tests all come back normal which is was i was hoping i would find the problem, but it seems like the problem is a panic attack, apprently everyone goes through this atleast once in a life time some ppl go through it over and over, now that i have found out its that i find it much easier to sleep at night, i havent had the wake up feeling sick since i found out, the whole point is your mind tries to over power your thoughts, where u have gotten used to the episodes happening everynight so you go to bed waiting for it or preparing for it. WRONG THING TO DO!! dont think about it u need to fight your mind. panic attacks can happen for no reason ok so dont think there is something wrong and you cant die from it i found that out so that took off alot ov pressure. you have to not think about it and go to bed thinking its not happening. if you leave it to long and keep thinkin about it and preparing for it then it goes from panic attack to panic disorder where at this point u begin to stay home and not leave the house cause u dont feel safe out there etc and when u go out u will start to panic cause ur so used to telling yourself its going to happen. so basically what u tell yourself your mind will do trust me i havent had a big episode since. you have to fight for this to go away its not going to happen over night keep that in might but every day gets better and better i feel it already. try it tonight and see how u go.
|

replied May 9th, 2011
Stomach pain and nausea
hello.

Im 19 and i have alot of the same problems alot of these people do. For years i would wake up in the morning and feel sick and have pains in my stomach. But now the pain starts early around 5am and wakes me up, i feel hot but cold, i have nausea but i only throw up stomach acid. also i diarrhea. The only thing that helps me is getting my mind off the pain by putting a cold wet cloth on my stomach and my head. The pain is usually around my belly button area. I been to the ER twice since the first time i went they said it was acid reflux. my stomach produces alot of acid that tries to make its way up and out. so they gave me meds for that called (famotidine) i have to take it before bed on a empty stomach. now i been taking it for 3 days now and it doesnt seem to work as much as i thought it would. I Still wake up but a little later around 7 or 8 but once im up the pain and nausea hits me and wont go away till afternoon. than at night it starts all over again. So what i have been trying is waking up eating dry toast with gatorade. than slowly move to other foods like chicken and bagels and stuff like that. That isnt full of fat or grease. also i try not to eat past 8 or so. And drink lots of water if you feel nausea coming, sip on drinks slowly. I hope this info helps. If you feel this way most likey its acid reflux and meds are the best way to go. it will help the acid from forming to much than you need!!
|

replied July 3rd, 2011
Every night ... feel sick... before or after super...nausea
Our daughter feels sick every night, slightly different though. This has been going on for about 34 yrs now... we have done everything...blood tests etc... not the scope...she did respond well to an anti stress type homeopathic white pill...which we will continue with....strange thing...wish we could nail it dow...she is 14 now
|

replied August 14th, 2011
This happens to me and I'm 17. It gets really annoying when school comes around because the nausea will wake me up at night and my mom wont let me stay home no matter what, I need to figure out how to get rid of this because my senior yr is starting soon, in fact the nausea is why I'm up right now, I went to bed at 3am and woke up around 4am, its no 5:28am, i really need to know why this happens(and i need to get sleep but its kinda impossible)
|

replied August 14th, 2011
This happens to me and I'm 17. It gets really annoying when school comes around because the nausea will wake me up at night and my mom wont let me stay home no matter what, I need to figure out how to get rid of this because my senior yr is starting soon, in fact the nausea is why I'm up right now, I went to bed at 3am and woke up around 4am, its no 5:28am, i really need to know why this happens(and i need to get sleep but its kinda impossible)
|

replied September 8th, 2011
acid
im 27 and having same problem its doing my head in i will wake up and feel very nausious and panicy full of acid
|

User Profile
replied June 15th, 2012
Acid reflux ? Try ranitidine 150mg one in morning one at bedtime --- for a few days and see if it works
|

replied November 24th, 2011
It's 7 am, I woke up at 5 30 with severe nausea today and yesterday, I know how everybody feels, it's terrible. I'd do anything to make it go away for good.
|

replied December 21st, 2011
I have a very similar problem but for my it happens in the mornings. It's quite strange, it started over the summer, I would just wake up always feeling nauseous, always feeling sick, and it would usually drag on into the early afternoon. It stopped in the fall but came back very recently. I've seen 3 different doctors but yet to see a G.I. I realize I should probably do that I just haven't had time. This sickness is horrible, it disables me from doing things. Many days I have to stay in bed until 12 or later even. I also have lost my appetite almost entirely. I very rarely am able to get food down without being repulsed at the thought of it. It could have something to do with the zoloft I was taking during the summer, but I'm not sure.
How do you guys deal with this? What soothes your stomach (food, tea, water?). I wonder if it could have something to do with my diet. I don't eat the healthiest food these days. Good luck to you all!
|

replied January 23rd, 2012
I've had the same issue for years. It's hormonal with me (female) started at puberty and only stopped during my two pregnancies. I feel sick 2-3 times a week, more during my monthlies. I feel like if I move an inch I'll be sick, so end up laying there like a dead weight deep breathing until it passes (I get hot/cold, churning tummy the lot).

No cure I'm afraid, not for the hormonal one anyway! But I've found in the last few weeks that meditation before bed does help slightly. Although I still get the sickness feeling, I don't go to bed worrying about it, and it appears to be less severe. Maybe those of you that have pinned it down to stress can try something similar? I'm not 'new agey' at all but this really helps!
|

replied February 10th, 2012
Im a 21 yr old female, going to turn 22 the end of this month, feb. Ive missed my period. Its been 3-4wks. N about a week and a half ive been in and out of sleep through out the middle of the night due to either upset stomach, stomach pains, gas N the need for #2 or just severe stomach pains that have me tossin and turning holdin my stomach. It lasts for a couple mins then a lil after im able to sleep. But wake up again an hr later felin the same with either or. Its hard for me to eat through out the day because of those symptoms. My stomach is empty and growling but I cant eat and nothing sounds good even if I try because the empty feeling makes the middle of my stomach feel horrible and it makes my chest hurt a just little, I feel nauseas, a little dizzy, and minor headaches. When I need to vommit nothing usually comes out due to nothing even being there until the first time this morning I threw up yellow stuff. I have no insurance so going to the doctor isnt an option for me.
|

replied July 13th, 2012
possible solution to nausea
Ive been having the same issues as a lot of you ...Ive seen three G.Is and lots of other drs ...... my last gi told me I have cysilic vomiting syndrome which relates to stress even if I don't necessarily think Im stressed my mind and body are stressed and so then I start to feel nauseas Ive been taking st. johns wart its a vitamin you can get it over the counter but its a natural stress reducer seems to help
|

replied October 3rd, 2012
Are you having Seizures?
Been sick over 4 years. Today I woke up at 2:30. Usually it's around 3:30. I have loose BM, fever, sweats, cold flashes. My stomach cramps as if somebody is squeezing it and they won't let go. I barely eat and sleep comes in spurts. After two years of this, my body just collapsed on me. They think it is related to my hormone levels, causing me to have partial/partial complex seizures. Exhaustion is one of my main symptoms, I am on hormone therapy, loads on anti-seizure rxs, a long-term nausea medication and a chemo-grade nausea med, and other various symptom-reducing meds. A partial seizure is a seizure one experiences while remaining aware. A partial complex seizure is when you are aware, but you have no control over motor skills. I've had episodes in front of people and I can't respond when they ask if I'm ok. I'm still working on it. It's a long process to get a doctor to recognize a partial seizure. Mine are, more than likely, abdominal seizures.
|

replied November 19th, 2013
I'm so glad to see this. I'm a 17 year old girl and I get anxiety and panic attacks mostly everyday. Reading this really helps so thank you very much Smile sometimes I just need to let go
|

replied March 3rd, 2014
I turned 17 february 26th of 2014, It's 5:41 AM, I woke up at 3:50 AM but it's usually at 5:00 AM... I've been having the same symptoms for about 5 months now and it really bothers me, I fall asleep then about 4-5 hours later I wake up feeling nausious and I diarrhea occasiaonally. I have pains in my stomach and my intestins (where the poop travels) the pain fades after like an hour or a little bit more and i feel great all day long but as soon as I go to bed I wake up like this after 4 hours of sleep... I used to sleep 10 hours before facing this problem
|