Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

I've beaten depression, let me help you.

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
User Profile
Hello Smile
I'm not going to post my story, as it's quite lengthy. If you'd like to know, just tell me and i'll gladly divulge. Anyway, all that needs to be said is i've recently turned 20. For every single year that I was a teenager I was very severely depressed. For half a year now i've been able to smile and feel genuinely happy. Something i'm still getting used to, but it's great. I want you to feel it too.

I'd like to be able to help people. I've been through extremes. Not only dealing with myself, i've seen depression in others. My experiences are anything but mild. But i've beaten it all. I'm so happy these days and i'm staying that way. The thing is, nobody helped me. Nobody. No doctors, no medication, no friends or family. I did it all myself. This is why it got to such extremes. I was determined to take it all on by myself. It was stupid, but I did it. This is why I believe I can help. I'm not going to throw any cliches at you. I won't tell you that it'll all be okay or that religion is the answer. I can either just be there to listen and respond accordingly or I can give you the best advice you'll receive from somebody that understands.
Here's what I want you to do - Talk to me. If you have any questions, ask me. If you just want to talk, talk to me. If you just wanna bare your soul, go for it. Anything I can do for you that can help in as little as just listening or as big as giving you the best advice I can, that's what I want to make happen!
Anything, don't hesitate to send me a personal message and i'll make sure to get back to you. Sometimes it helps just to spill your guts, other times you might want some guidance. I promise I won't throw any cliche things that you get from friends at you. Nor will I ever judge you. I just want to use my experience to help others. I know how hard it was to find that when I needed it, so i'm giving you this straight up. Message me, I insist. Or, if you'd prefer, maybe you'd just like to leave a comment below. Sometimes it helps to get multiple opinions and you can get that from others who also read this post who might scroll down and read your comment.

I hope to hear from you, I honestly believe I can help in any way you wish. If you choose not to message me or anything, then I hope you have a good day Smile

- Josh
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile MMEggman
|

replied November 15th, 2011
Well, I have been through this stupid illness so many times, and have searched for answers at all the wrong places. So hope u can just email me or chat, thx.
|

replied November 19th, 2011
mental health
would be really cool if you could email. me. thx
|

replied November 15th, 2011
I think I had depression but I thought i had no-one to talk to about it but allowing people to talk about it on here is such a good idea Smile Go you!
|
Users who thank upintheclouds for this post: MMEggman 

User Profile
replied November 16th, 2011
Experienced User
Nice post!Smile I was misdiagnosed at 13, overmedicated and they just re-assessed me and diagnosed me bipolar 10 years later. I study it like crazy. My goal is to be off medication. I also don't have family support. I love to read success stories. They're motivating.
|

replied November 19th, 2011
Hey, imagine if everyone here just said " i have to control myself" wouldn't that be great. and then weekly, everyone could say, " hey, you know what? I'm back in control of my life. "

Now wouldn't that be great , free of charge. Hey?
|

replied February 1st, 2012
Without energy, without purpose, in love with someone who doesn't love me (Wont even talk to me, special disappearing act) -- but at least I don't hate myself anymore. I hate the time I've wasted. I hate the circumstances I came to be. I hate how the things I love turn to hate. I like that people tried to help me, but I hate that it was never enough. I'm like you, I did it all myself. What works for me is a bitter cynicism that's conveyed as humor. Don't try anymore, try to be self-indulgent instead. It's sarcasm, it helps. When you half think you've hit on a solution, and 150% know that it's never going to work, that's when you can't leave anything alone. More mistakes, more hurt -- you know -- right? It's not that people's concern keeps you in check, it's not wanting to let them down. The thought that you've made someone lose faith in you, is the most destructive force that will finish the optimism. It then becomes either suicide, or bring everyone else misery, and in a sense of option number two, you're less alone. If people won't notice you when you're trying, they will definitely realize you when you're ****ing (this site censors) their lives over. So if you've got more advice, it would be an incrimination to harbor it all to yourself. Tell me, what is it I haven't learned? I'm not going to tell you what I already know, we'd have lists from the depths of the ocean to the outer limits of our atmosphere. Good luck Smile Please try.
|

User Profile
replied March 1st, 2012
Experienced User
Please don't fall for this.
|

replied March 2nd, 2012
The point I'm making is this: In the circumstances which Josh is describing, there is no cure. How much therapy do you want to go through? My parents are unemployed, divorced, unhappy, and nostalgic; and my sister has medical issues that are crippling. I can't place my problems on top of theirs, I don't try to get help from my peers because something in the mix of conveyance and how I go about it brings people into the part of my life they'd never signed up for. When I'm brutally honest with people, they leave me high and dry, so I listen to people more than I illustrate my feelings. I give to many good and patient people wisdom with impact. Honestly, when I saw this post, Josh, I wasn't expecting or deliberately trying to take from you your method of experiencing happiness. I was, however, taking your advice, and of all the things I can't say to the ones who are not digitized over the Internet, uncensored my feelings for you to see. I already know you can't do anything, or solve my problems; however, from reading what you have wrote, I know you are a genuine and capable human being. The way you beat depression is how you excel in all activities human-oriented and related -- a ton of discipline and persistence with realistic thinking. You also have to accept the world, and be able to forgive in reasonable time. The agonising problem is, why am I doing it? Around the neighbourhood of where I live, I've seen two homes lose, in one, a daughter to a car accident; another, a mother in a shooting (purposely murdered). Friends/family members wrote that, in harsh situations such as these, time seems to "stand still". It's a clich, but the good thing about clichs is that they're always there, an idea that's always open for new inner-personal discussions when something new in your life happens. They lose their impact when they're spoken as a comeback from someone who doesn't want to consider your problems, but when written, it goes in as a pure thought and idea to mull over. People have died happy, when in their past times, witnessed their entire families murdered as penalty to their insubordination. They were helpless. They all found in their surroundings a purpose for their lives to surround, without any critical expectations waiting to pick apart experiences to come. I guess I just haven't found what I'm looking for, but I'm still trying, hoping that one day, I won't have to think twice, or hesitate -- I'll know where my true values draw the line.
|

User Profile
replied March 2nd, 2012
Experienced User
My comment was directed at the poster, not you, sorry.

I think you would be better reposting your words under a new thread as it doesn't get attention here.
|

User Profile
replied March 10th, 2012
Experienced User
Please remove this poster from your system. It's a fraud designed to attract one on one contact so he can sell.
|