Medical Questions > Womens Health > Ovulation and Ovaries Forum

i used duphaston, never progestrone tablets before....

Must Read
What is PCOS? And when does polycystic ovary syndrome become a problem for women?...
Not all women with PCOS share the same symptoms but women with PCOS exhibit one of three main symptoms. PCOS signs and symptoms made clear here....
PCOS is often misdiagnosed. Educate yourself with some diagnostic questions that can point you in the right direction for an accurate PCOS diagnosis....
User Profile
iam suffering with pcos ,and anovulation,doc prescribed me daily one tablet for 10 days ,of progesterone, i asked doc but she told to get my periods,but previously i used duphaston to get my periods.I never used progestrone tablets before....

why progesterone tablets are given?
if i take this tablets when my periodis going to arrive please clarify my doubt....

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 30th, 2012
Ovulation and Ovaries Answer A37522
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
Both Duphaston and progesterone tablets/pills can be prescribed to induce periods. Duphaston contains dydrogesterone which is synthetic progesterone. It is prescribed for various conditions that result due to lack of endogenous production of the hormone like menstrual disorders, endometriosis, infertility, etc. You can consider taking the progesterone pills as prescribed by your treating doctor/gynecologist. You should get your withdrawal bleeding/periods within 5-7 days of taking the last dose of the pill. If you are diagnosed with PCOS, insulin modifiers (like Metformin) would help to reverse the ovarian changes and return ovarian function (since most common cause for PCOS is insulin resistance). Although PCOS is associated with anovulatory cycles (menstrual cycles without periodic egg release from ovary), there is possibility of having occasional ovulation, and if you become sexually active around ovulation time, and if semen or pre-cum comes in contact with vagina, chances of pregnancy are possible. Once PCOS is under control, and when you are ready for pregnancy, ovulation inducers can be started to help you with ovulation (egg release from ovary) and increase your chances of pregnancy. If you are trying for pregnancy, monitor cervical mucus changes and the BBT (basal body temperature) charting to predict your ovulation (along with the follicular study) and time your intercourse for having fruitful results. Have intercourse in positions that allow for deeper penetration for high deposit of semen. Have diet with foods rich in zinc content to ensure better maturation of egg and sperms. Continue with the treatment prescribed and be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Drink plenty of water. Take adequate rest.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ovulation and Ovaries , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.