Medical Questions > Mental Health > Dyslexia Forum

I think I have Dyslexia

Hi, I'm a seventeen year old girl and I think I may be dyslexic. I spell way worse than I should considering my age and intelligence. At first I thought I was just bad at spelling but reading up on dyslexia now I am unsure. Often when I spell something I might spell it completely differently in the same sentence. Although I learn of rules and things (like i before e except after c etc.) and if asked I will apply the rule but when writing I'll get it mixed up. I find it near impossible to sound words out too. When I'm writing I often mix up similar looking letters such as p,b and d.
I also mix up my words when speaking, I'll call someone by the wrong name even someone I know really well and not even notice it, or mean to say one thing and say another instead(ie the wall is blue when I mean red etc.). I can read perfectly fine to myself - I'm actually quite a quick reader - but when I read aloud I skip words or stammer over simple words. When I read or write a number I often mix the digits up and if it goes past a thousand and there is no comma I cannot say the number without really looking at it.
What I want to know really is if I'm dyslexic and where I can go to get information/help etc.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 17th, 2011
Experienced User
hi, speeking as a disliexic it dose sound like you have many of the common trates of dislexica. the leeter confusion come predomintly form the stratagy our brain devlops young to identify things but as a dislixeic we have the rare ability to do intesting tricks in our brain with 2D shapes.
i would sugest you contact one of the dislexia charites as they canput you in contact with proffesonals. but also if you are in education or retern to education in the futcher seek suport fron the learning suport teams at where you are studing as they should be able to get you a full assesmet and posibly extra assitance which can include specalist computer software to help reduce the common dislexic mestakes in text.
pm me if you want to chat.
|

replied October 2nd, 2013
Experienced User
You have consult to the physician about the disease. This is serious disease.
|
Tags: apply, b one, b to c
Quick Reply