Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

I talk to myself and want to be alone (Page 1)

Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
User Profile
I'm a 21 years old female and my problem isn't so much about my emotions
as it is about my lack there of. I never get angry, depressed, sad, jealous or anything really. There are a few things that make me happy, sometimes mildly worried but that's about it. I highly dislike people and am in no hurry to be in any type of relationship. I just don't really care about anything. I'm not suicidal or anything, but I know that this is not normal.

I get stomach cramps and feel sick when around people too long, even my best friends and family members. I freeze up when around people and sometimes I stutter or I can't speak when introduced to new people. But I know this should bother me, but it doesn't. Anything I need, company or sexual satisfaction, I can take care of by myself. I don't even interact with people online (except with this)

The thing is, I'm only really concerned about this because my family is concerned. I only have two friends and I don't go out to meet people. Also I talk to myself a lot. I'm not talking to voices or anything, just myself, but sometimes I talk out loud and that worries people. I like to hold conversations with myself, usually explaining stuff to myself. I don't know why I do it, I just do.

I also have a vivid imagination and often play pretend with myself. Pretending people are there around me, talking about me. Or I pretend I'm talking to people, like a psychiatrist or tourist. Explaining things and such. Most of the time I'm silent about it, but occasionally I'll laugh out loud or roll my eyes for no reason, and people look at me weird. I'm even doing this while working and talking to people, I just can't turn off my mind.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Squee
|
Users who thank Squee for this post: leecape 

User Profile
replied July 6th, 2009
Supporter
i m glad that your not depressed or anything like that.
but it does sound like you have a social anxiety disorder or social phobia. i think it would benefit you if you seen a therapist and got on medication (optional). but they can tell you what you have and allow you to better understand what you have, and how to deal with it.
i would like to email you some information about these disorders so you can compare your symptoms.
|

replied November 23rd, 2009
me too
i'm a 21 year old male.. and have exactly what you have.
|

User Profile
replied November 23rd, 2009
Experienced User
Hi there,

I am 25 and I used to be like you. But I am not getting sick when around people. I can socialize but I can't be in with people. Like an outcast or a loser as what they call it. But I am happy not to be in with people. It just makes me feel awkward to be in a conversation with others. I like to be alone and do things on my own. But I am very emotional or sensitive especially when I was young. I talked to the walls, ,my pillows, my teddy bears, my dog. Sometimes I talk to the wind, the tree or a flower. But I believe that I don't have a mental disorder. I am very independent and I do things on my own until now. I have too many friends I talk and socialize with them but I don't like to be personally close to them like sharing my life with them. I don't feel comfortable with it.

But I think your case is different. So better to have it checked with a psychiatrist.
|

replied March 3rd, 2010
I am a 30 year old male and i have the exact symptoms that you have mentioned above. But i have not always been this way before. I have partied all my life had many friends but since i turned 27 i changed alot. I dont fear strangers but avoid them much as possible. I have read a few articles on bipolar disorder but i cannot relate to the symptoms as i am not unhappy, depressed. I just like to be alone and enjoy on my own. I am thinking about talking to a therapist. I think i do need help when looking at people out there who calls them normal, i think i am far better off than them. Or maybe we look at things different. My advice to you make older friends. I think some people are much mature for our age, that can be a reason too. I find people in their late 40s and 50s very comforting to be around and enjoy a conversation every now and then, people much older than me. I believe all those online gamers and chatters preety much feel the same about this as well. If you listen to me, try to go out, not necessarily mixing up with people. And yes try making friends with old people, see how you go with that. Nothing wrong with trying as long as you do it with a clear state of mind and know where you are going. Dont feel panicked, because you are not the only one. And yes always smile , regardless..rather than talking to yourself, my advice, pick up a guitar, sing tune write music, express your self in other way than talking to yourself. I have tried it, it helps. The reason you are talking to yourself is because, you are an intelligent person with loads of ideas to share with. Since you dont communicate much , you end up talking to yourself. talk to your close friends, express yourself. SO that is the secret receipe i guess, express yourself. learn to express your self, find proper channels to do it. best of luck.
|

replied March 5th, 2010
I am 17 male. I pretty much have the same problem. Almost exact same conditions but im ok around my friends and immidiate family i just feel uncomfortable around my cousins , aunts, uncles etc.
I do wisper to myself all the time, my lips move bt u can barely make out the words. Sometimes im afraid that im insane bt nw i kno there r others like me Smile
|

User Profile
replied March 5th, 2010
I'm just like you, possibly even worse. I cut out all of my friends in my life. I hate it when people try to talk to me because it makes me really uncomfortable. It's to the point where I don't even like talking to anyone in my family. Including my mother. I talk to myself and pace around a lot. I know that I'm depressed, but I can't bring myself to go and talk to a professional.
|

replied May 5th, 2010
i like wacth many picture of people bleeding ,pic with blood
im 26 years old,i work and studi, i graduate of hotel bussines administration and makeup now im studi to be architec ingenier im practice swwming and im do my life same as other people.im active woman ,, but i love to be alone, when we have famili meeting i dont like stay with them i enjoy may be at least 1 or 2 hours but im getting ungry and i want go out farway , can i meet with mi friend very good wiouth problem, but also in the same time i hate them,when i getting much noise or desorder,:S i like read,listen miusic,and go cinemas,i want to know why that happent if normal or not, sometime i feel depresion and lot time i feel sad,i feel like empty i dont know how can i say what i feel i love listen sad miusic and watch bleeding picture realistic picture,pls help me
|

replied June 3rd, 2010
why do we need to know that you can take care of yourself sexually?
|

replied February 7th, 2012
i have this exact same problem. this is not the time for trolling...
|

User Profile
replied July 4th, 2010
i am a 17 year old female, and i have a lot in common with this post. im becoming more and more numb to emotions, and i have never been happy nor unhappy. i talk to myself constantly, but never in front of any one. i like explain things to someone, imagining that they're new somewhere or something. i also tend to read out loud, like i'm reading to someone, but this is the only think done out loud. everything else is mouthed.

as for people, im ok around the people i already know, but the social problems i have just started when i was 16. around people i dont know bothers me. i try to ignore them, or i try to stay out of conversation. or, i cling to a friend who knows them better than i do.

i'd love to get some help with this also
|

replied September 2nd, 2010
My Personality
Im 16 and ive done it every since i remember,People dont offer me comfort i feel like an outkast,like im seeing the world through some one elses eyes.Sometimes i get scared so i talk to my most favorite imganiation her name is sabrina.I hate living here so i switch body with her and other people from imgaery world,so basically i cantt except my reality,so i create alternate personalitys to endure my life.I socialize im mildly popular but i always find myself running back to her.I cant stop,ive tryed its an addiction that will die when i do.Im not suicidal even though sometimes i just want to slit my throat,i wont,i couldnt.People make me want to cry i trust and earn betrayal.I just feel like im on the edge of a cliff and one day im jumping for better or worse..
|

replied February 7th, 2012
I am 17 and have a problem where i cant speak with anyone i don't know. In some cases i can talk to strangers that know my relatives or friends. although it hasn't been like that forever. As hypocritical as i sound, I think you should see a therapist. We are not alone...
|

replied February 24th, 2012
I talk to myself alot too
I completely understand I do the same thing. Its like an addiction I often try to be alone so i can talk to myself and my made up world. I do voices and trade places with myself and other i made up or imagine. most of the time i imagine being someone else. I feel nervous when meeting new people and im very antisocial. I daydream alot and i find myself doing it while im driving,listening to music ect. I tried not doing it and i start getting anixious, feeling sad and even worse a very painful headache. I looked up what it might be and i found depersonalization disorder look it up it might help
|

replied October 4th, 2010
i think its great that u can be complete on ur own.
|

replied October 9th, 2010
I'm an 18 year old female and am similar to some of these posts. I can't remember when I haven't talked to myself, or rather talk to people I pretend are in the room. I also isolate myself from people. I have no friends. I am somewhat close with some members in my family (My two sisters, my brother, my mother) but I don't think they wholly understand who I am so I've basically stopped trying to explain it to them.

I think the reason I create conversations with imaginary people is because I don't find sufficient company in real people. I usually find them shallow, superficial, and judgmental, so talking to people who aren't real is more interesting and fulfilling. I used to talk to people on the internet, usually lying about my age, where I lived, etc. but that stopped years ago. I used to be friends with a cousin but told her I no longer wanted to be friends with her after 2 or 3 years. I don't think I told her why but it was basically because I lost interest in having friends.

I resist calling this a mental disorder because it seems to me that if you aren't at least moderately sociable, in a romantic relationship, and have a satisfying career (though I beleive the latter is important) then several people will label you as mentally ill.

I now realize there are several people like this. For a long time I thought I was one of few.
|

replied October 9th, 2010
yeah, superficial, judgmental ppl. im so sick of them. i know i dont fit in with them so i dont even try anymore. however, i see this issue as a blessing 4me cos i only feel good when im by myself.
|

replied November 14th, 2010
ME TOO!
That's why I looked this subject up! That is me to a T. I'm 56 years old and have been alone for 20+ years. I think it's because of lack of social contact in my case and it becomes my comfort zone to just avoid contact and just stay at home. I also have only A few friends and don't want any more than that. I went to a lunch reunion last Saturday and was very uncomfortable. My cousin, I hadn't seen in over 30 years and felt like we didn't know each other anymore. I think about getting help sometimes. I feel my problem is getting worse. I was very active at your age and If I were you, I wouldn't let it take over your life at such a young age.
|
Users who thank imtommcalpine for this post: moris1337 

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied December 3rd, 2010
Misunderstood daydreamer
I too have the same problem I sometimes isolate myself from others just so I can have time for my fantasy world. It's getting harder and harder for me because I have a husband and three kids that know nothing about my condition! I try to stop sometimes but find that I don't really want to stop ( I only wanted to because I thought I was crazy) lol I'm so glad that there are other people out here like me.

PS I am 33yrs old and have been doing this since I was a child!!!
|

replied April 21st, 2011
Me too!
|

User Profile
replied December 5th, 2010
Community Volunteer
Hi ty523 and welcome to ehealth: The more you do this, the harder of a habit it is to break...Fantasy world is just that "fantasy"....It's an escape mechanism....A place that you can go where no one is allowed....The reason you don't want to stop is that you welcome that land of peace and tranquility that you have found...Unfortunately, when you get into it too deeply you want to hurry back and pick up where you left off....

If you have to get a hobby...Find something that interests you...Make your husband your best friend and share your thoughts on life with him.....It can make your marriage a lot closer....Take care...

Caroline
|

replied March 19th, 2011
I avoid people a lot. I also have depression, anxiety, bipolar and 2 eating disorders (anorexia and bulimia), and Post traumatic stress disorder. I have been diagnosed with social anxiety avoidant personality disorder, and mild anti social personality disorder. I don't have any problem talking to established friends and family, but if I don't know someone, I have to communicate through email and text before I feel comfortable talking to them, even on the phone, and I have to know someone for years before I can make eye contact with them. You probably have some kind of social anxiety. I have most of the social anxieties. The one that scares me the most is the antisocial. You don't seem to have that. That is the one where you can enjoy when bad things happen to people. I'm a Christian. I'm not supposed to enjoy that. I don't like for bad things to happen to friends and family, but if I don't know or don't like someone, it doesn't usually bother me.
|

replied June 2nd, 2011
I have very similar, I don't want to say "conditions", but for lack of a better term conditions as the original post. But I don't have the anxiety around people, for the most part. I've found that I can be timid in meeting new people, but aren't we all? But I talk to myself, a lot, often with my lips moving but not sound actually coming out. I have in-depth conversations with myself at all times almost. If I'm not doing something else, I'm probably talking to myself. It doesn't really affect my social life (I think?) I have friends and what not, but I recently have started to ponder as to whether this is "normal"? I understand moderate talking to yourself is normal, but I feel as if mine is to a level far more extreme to that of my peers. Input would be appreciated.
|

replied July 6th, 2011
I seem to separate myself from others that don't tell the truth or have certain behaviour which i cant stand and rather than confronting them about it just not being there solves the problem of getting worked up. i hate not being able to express myself or when a friend does not acknowledge me i have never talked to imaginary people tbh i do think thats abit crazy but i do converse with myself deeply correcting or criticizing myself i think its healthy for the mind but sometimes i do it without noticing. when i talk to myself it lays your roots your foundation its up to you if its negative of positive and its your sprit and soul opening up what else can it be except truth if you believe, it becomes truth and you will see it that way, a way to help people who are depressed is do some history work alot of people went through bad stages in their life but it took them to where they are now look for some common ground and connect and converse with yourself untill you find your truth the 2nd most important thing is not to LIE the 1st IT IS TO LIVE WITH LOVE My saying is if you dont love yourself who will. people will be people but once youve been on a rollercoaster ride in life its abit easier than the trip, Im only 18 but i feel old as in wise but young within my spirit im so glad i suffured when i was young and realized the truth and how to deal with it step by step. I will always talk to myself its not a thing to be ashamed off its just what you talk about its best to keep in your head people will think your crazy but they just have no idea what it is to be you and you have no idea what it is like to be them. Remember Everythings on you always has always will be its about getting up and again and giving it another go or youll get left behind exactly the same
|
12 >>