Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

I struggle to breathe, the closer i get to falling asleep.

User Profile
My problem is the past two weeks, every couple of nights or so, when i try to lay down to go to sleep I struggle to breathe, it seems to get worse, the closer i get to falling asleep, this has me feeling crazy. I have read it can be caused by anxiety, which i struggle with, but it feels so physical I can't believe it's all in my head, it would be comforting having someone tell me it is though. I don't have struggles breathing like this all day long, until i try to go to sleep, please help!? I use marijuana, but I know this probably will sound ignorant to a doctor, but i don't think it's related, ive never had struggle breathing at any other time, besides sleep, im telling you though, cause i really would like to know whats going on. and i haven't used in about a week.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 15th, 2011
Sleep Disorders Answer A26015
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

The cause of shortness of breath or dyspnea has to be evaluated to rule out other causes like bronchitis, asthma, metabolic disorders, lung diseases, etc.

Hence you might benefit by consulting your doctor, who can examine you and order specific tests including a lung function tests for a proper diagnosis and treatment.

Difficulty to breath - only before going to sleep for a short time, which is followed by a normal sleep with no disturbance could be benign issues including anxiety.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sleep Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.