Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

I smell burning wood in my nose...

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
I have been smelling burning wood, like a bom fire for 2 weeks now. At some times the smell is so strong, my eyes feel like they are burning and causes me to cough. I have tried a z-pac, but the symptoms have not changed. The smell is not constant but happens throughout most of the day. he smell is usually only when I am not moving around or there is no air movement around me. I can still smell all other fragrants without any problem. Please help me figure this out. It is driving me crazy.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 30th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
For me it happens when I have a sinus infection.
|

Can you tell me what was done and how long it took to get rid of it?
|

Especially eHealthy
In the beginning it lasted weeks and sometimes months. Now I immediately reach for my sinus rinse and it is normally gone in a day or two or three.
|

replied April 22nd, 2012
What is this rinse, could you tell me the ingredients or is it an off shelf thing that you can buy in drug store?

S. Malik
|

User Profile
replied October 16th, 2011
Have you recently ingested any zinc cold remedies? These products can cause olfactory nerve damage which results in odd smells/tastes and even a complete loss thereof. I have olfactory nerve damage from a zinc cold remedy (cough lozenges) and I smell sulphur or burnt hair all the time. When the damage first occured I smelled ammonia very strongly.
|

replied April 21st, 2012
smell in nose
could you please let me know what is sinus rinse? Thanks
|

replied August 3rd, 2012
I am having this same burnt smell in my nose. I have changed every filter in my house and I still smell it. It's strongest when I'm at home, but I smell it other places too. Very strong when I'm sitting or lying in bed. After reading the comments, I am going to use my Nasaline and sea salt water. Nasaline does the work of a neti pot--only neater! You can find it online--developed by Swedish ENTs. It looks like a giant syringe with a rubber tip on the end. Why didn't I think of this before?? I hope it works!
|

replied January 25th, 2013
You can buy a great sinus rinse at Walgreens or if you like it alot, get it at Costco. Niel is the brand and you basically fill the little bottle with WARM water, add the packet of powdered solution, shake it up then you follow the instructions to rinse out your sinus. It goes up on nostril and out the other while you squeeze the bottle. It feels really great! This a very good thing to do anytime you have any sinus issues. Twice a day is good until you feel better.
|