Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

I Never Feel Hungry

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
For the last 10-11 months or so, I don't feel hungry and I mean never... Even if I don't eat for like 30 hours, I don't feel like eating but it's not about appetite. I love to eat and I can still eat a decent meal but the thing about not feeling hungry just bugs me.

So after a few weeks of not feeling hungry (November 2010) I went to the doctor. He pushed into my abdomen if there was any pain, I felt a slight pain when he pushed in from the sides so I had an ultrasound to see if there were any masses around the liver, stomach or pancreas and there were none. Then I had an endoscopy, the doctor wanted to check for a few things (I only remember one was helicobacter) all were negative. The doctor said that I only have gastritis and if I eat at regular hours and not drink/eat any coke, beer etc (and quite a few stuff he listed) then I should be ok. I didn't eat or drink anything that he banned, but I didn't eat at regular hours (like in a day first at 4 am, then 3pm and then 11 pm etc)

Anyway a few months ago I went to another doctor, he took an MRI of my brain to check the part where the hungriness signal is received or something like that. He said there is nothing wrong. Then he asked for a bloodwork, everything was in normal values.

But this not being hungry thing is still going on, almost gonna be a whole year. I lost like 10 pounds in the first 2 months but I wasn't eating much at all. After that, I started eating whenever I feel like it (not because I'm hungry) so I didn't lose any weight in the last 7-8 months. I usually do feel bloated. And also I do feel a slight discomfort in my abdomen from time to time (occasionally) and that discomfort's location changes everytime, so I doubt if that discomfort is psychological related.

So here I am asking you guys what could be the reason. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper sabonis
|

User Profile
replied October 6th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
sabonis,

Unfortunately, you may have to look at the psychological side of things. If you have had the "million dollar workup" and evey thing comes back as normal, then you do have to look to psychological reasons.

Loss of appetite is one of the major symptoms of depression. You don't have to be totally melancholic to be depressed. It may be that the lack of appetite is your body's outward manifestation of the disorder.

You can continue to hunt for something physical, but if everything keeps coming back normal, you are going to have to check out the mind-body aspect.

You don't want to wait too long and lose too much weight. Not taking in the proper nutrients can lead to a whole host of physical problems; anemia, chronic infections, osteoporosis, immune disorders, cardiovascular problems, etc.

Hope you discover the cause of your lack of appetite. Good luck.
|

replied November 6th, 2011
It's not about a loss or lack of appetite! I have a very similar problem in that I am NEVER hungry. This has been going on for many years for me. I can have a small breakfast taco in the morning and feel miserably stuffed all day. I haven't experienced the loss of weight due to friends and family eating or going out to eat and I go along with them. I enjoy food but tell my friends and family that I am not hungry but will join them because I am a social eater, LOL. But the truth behind the whole situation is I feel bloated most of the time, and never feel hunger. It really ticks me off too! So a real solution to this would be great!
|

replied November 9th, 2011
Google gastroparesis. It sounds like that too me. It would explain the bloating and the lack of hunger.
|

replied November 14th, 2011
i never feel hungry im constantly bloated and look 8 months pregnant id love a solution
|

replied January 7th, 2012
alex
Try HerbaLife products to supplument your malnutrition.
|

replied January 12th, 2012
I guess my condition is much peculiar than you. I feel full and bloated most of the time but my appetite is superb.
|

replied September 1st, 2012
My goodness! I have something very similar.

I almost always feel full and bloated. I wouldn't say my appetite is poor though, because I am very happy to eat good food whenever there is any, and in large quantities too.

But I can go for 24 hours without eating and I don't feel hungry at all! But I do eat regularly anyway just because I like to.

I plan to keep a food diary for maybe a month or two then go to the doctor. I'll update this post when I have more news.
|

replied February 6th, 2013
I also never feel hungry. I know when my body needs food but most of the time the longer I go without food the less appetite I have. I guess kinda like hunger in reverse. I do find sometimes when I haven't eaten and don't feel like eating I try something, cause I know I need to eat, and end up eating a days worth of food in one sitting, like a starved dog. I am thirsty a lot and drink all day long. Normally water but pretty much anything. I'm over it. 3 years ago I was a fit muscled 90kg. Now sitting on just over 70. I also work hard manual labour and know my body is eating itself to keep up with energy requirements. Wish we could just come up with a full nutrition pill you take when needed and be done with it.
|

replied February 8th, 2013
Loss of appetite
You guys should all try getting checked for gaulstones. I went undiagnosed for over 4 years because all blood tests etc came back telling me that I was extremely healthy. I have struggled with my weight as I never feel hungry, but I also never feel full and can therefore eat a lot before realizing that I have actually eaten too much. It wasn't until I started suffering from excrutiating pain that they finally figured out what was wrong with me. Stupid doctors are definitely not thorough enough. The only thing that the doctor did pick up was a high level of a certain enzyme in my liver (which he only discovered while I was pregnant because of me having to pee in a cup at every antenatal visit and it was so bad that he accused me of being a heavy drinker, meanwhile, I only drink about a bottle of wine a year and didn't touch alcohol at all during my pregnancy). Gaulstones can do damage to the liver, pancreas, etc, so it is best to get checked out for that. I am so bloated all the time and have no energy or appetite and I never feel like I am full either. If this is how you feel I recommend getting a sonar done as the pain that follows once they start is almost as painful as labour contractions and it is not easy to diagnose when the stones are still small. I am currently waiting for my operation date and praying I don't get another attack before then. I will post an update if the loss of appetite stops, but gaulstones do slow the metabolism to a near stop, which could cause the loss of appetite, if you think about it. I hope you are all clear of gaulstones as I wouldn't even wish it on my worst enemy. Good luck guys!
|