Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

I need some advice on my boyfriends drug addiction

Must Read
Learn the basics about mental disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a mental health condition. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for mental conditions....
I am 16 years old, my boyfriend is 17 turning 18 in febuary of 2012..
He has a major addiction to pot..
i do not like this one bit, i have tried and tried to get him to cut down and he did for the summer but once summer ended and he went back to school with all of his friends he started smoking even more..
and its not even just pot anymore, ciggarettes.. he told me he did acid one day..
im not sure what acid is to be honest, im pretty sure its not good though..
everytime he doesnt smoke we fight, or when he does and hes burnt out at night he gets angry very fast & i try to ask him questions and he answers them rudely and not properly.
i cant even have a decent conversation with him when hes high.
i really some advice on something i could do to save him..
he has so much going for him and hes throwing it all away & i cant stay to watch it.. Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 1st, 2011
Marijuana is not an addictive drug. It sounds to me like he's experimenting more than anything. Instead of freaking out and thinking of him as an "out of control drug addict", which I doubt he is, why don't you talk to him about it. Pot can by psychologically addictive - to an extent - but unless he's smoking it all day every day and not leaving the house or doing anything else, it's not that serious. If he starts experimenting with things like coke or heroin, that's when you should be concerned. If you try to talk to him about it in an objective and rational manner and he's unresponsive or angry, perhaps it's time to move on.
I'm not a doctor or anything, so that's just my opinion. I used to smole pot all the time when I was around that age. It's been years now. It was just a phase and it veryu well may be just that for your boyfriend. Good luck. Hope that was some help.
|
Did you find this post helpful?