Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

I need honest people to tell me the survival rate

Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
My grandmother is 67 years old. She is on oxygen, has diabetes and is severely overweight. 95% of her heart is blocked and she is to undergo a triple bypass surgery next month. I just need some honest people/doctors/nurses to tell me what he survival rate of the surgery is...please. gosign
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 28th, 2012
I am 63 years old. I am a Vet with 80% disability from Agent Orange; diabetics, heart problems. I just had a five way by-pass and I feel great. They told the success rate is around 82%. My open heart operation was done at the Kooteney medical Center in Couer d'Alene, Id. Most of the 18% patient they lose is the ones that have heart damage as well as plugged arteries.
I guess a lot has to do with your health and attitude. I was 5'6" and 199lbs. I had for the last eight years felt bad with chest pain trouble breathing and such. I had a hard time exercising after a heart stent three years ago. Now I feel like I can start walking and I want to get back to jogging witch was something I enjoyed. I have dropped 14 lbs or so. They tell you that most patient loose about 10 lbs when they go through the surgery; that's what I lost in the hospital in six days. My appetite is slowly coming back, but I am in no hurry. I would like to get to about 170lbs or so. I am at 188lbs right now. You will be in my prayers
|
Did you find this post helpful?