Medical Questions > Mental Health > Autism Forum

I'm worried I might be Autistic...

Must Read
Start to understand this serious developmental disorder here. We review causes of autism, risk factors for development and other related health conditions...
Researchers believe that environmental and genetic reasons cause autism. But what group(s) are more at risk than others? Autism causes and risk factors here....
Main symptoms of autism involve communication, behavior and social difficulties - but when do these appear? and what symptoms are truly caused by autism?...
User Profile
I'm fifteen years old, and I'm very worried I might be Autistic. In social situations I'm usually very... awkward, I can rarely bring myself to talk even if I want to, even if I'm with very close friends (I can talk fine one on one, but when it's me and two or more people I'm extremely and randomly nervous). I also can't keep eye contact for very long- it sounds weird, but if I have to look into someones eyes for more than a few seconds I suddenly flinch away (this happens with everyone but one person, who is the closest non-family member to me).

I also have a habit of organizing my friends possessions (say, video game cases, or books and D.V.D's) into some form of order, and on my computer, I have to organize everything into specific folders, whether it be music or pictures or general documents.

I spoke to my doctor about it, but he just said "Well you could be, but you've 'missed the boat' with this kind of thing- What good would knowing you're autistic be now?" and he is reluctant to get me tested for it and such.

Oh, and, also, sometimes, if something has an odd shape I love to touch it. I would sit there for half a minute just pushing my thumb around an odd shape (say a dent in something, or... like the kind of shape a spoon is).

Perhaps my doctor is right, and knowing that I'm autistic now (at fifteen) won't help me at all, but still, I'd rather know than not know.

Can anyone give me any insight? I do have one Autistic friend, and one friend with Aspergus syndrome, however, I'm afraid to ask my Autistic friend as sometimes when I bring up a possible condition I may have she says I'm just being offensive to people who have it... and I cannot ask my Aspergus friend as he is at University right now, and I am also to nervous to ask.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper persephone39
|

replied November 10th, 2009
you should see a professional
|

replied December 19th, 2009
In all honesty, nobody could possibly diagnose you with something like Autism this way, however in my opinion, given what you have described, it sounds like you are a teenager. All teens go through this kind of stuff, I did too. What you described, however weird they may seem right now, are just teenage type behaviors and feelings. I had many of the same too and I don't have Autism or Aspergers. Eventually you work it all out and it everything becomes ok. There are teen hormones at work here too.

Nothing you described points to Autism or Asperger's, in my opinion. Instead, perhaps you are a more sensitive person. You seem to be more in touch with your feelings than the average 15 year old. You are obviously very smart to think about things to this extent at your age. You're a thinker. You are exploring possibilities and seeking answers. These are some of the gifts you bring to the world to make it a better place, you just need to figure out how you will use them. Figuring it out will take a few years, that's totally normal. It's like that for everyone.

Don't be hard on yourself. Even if you think you're different, I don't really know that you are. In general terms, don't try to label yourself. Give yourself the freedom to be who you are and love yourself for it. You'd be surprised to find out that many of your peers have similar experiences and are going through some of the same things too. Even so, you are the only you there will ever be! You'll get past all of this soon enough, and when you do you'll be a better adult for it.
|

replied May 7th, 2010
it could be it might not be maybe your parents would be insightful of your childhood for things like when you spoke if it was clear typical things you did a a child as it would help alot in diagnosis, when you where a child people hardly seen autism they just seen naughty children many people go undiagnosed because of this...
i say talk to mum/dad if around and take them with you to the doctors tell the doctor everything and allow them to decide if they think you are or need testing..
|

replied May 19th, 2010
You're probably just shy with slight OCD tendencies. Not too uncommon, and I wouldn't worry about it.
|

replied May 24th, 2010
As a previous poster said, can't really diagnose from a post....however, I always think that knowledge is power. My 8 year old has Aspergers. When he was 3 my sister-in-law suggested we get him checked. My husband and I thought "He's just a little kid, and all little kids are weird, aren't they". But we decided to do due diligence. Our family doctor gave us the same line yours gave you...but about a 3 year old "what good will it do to know". Well, knowing allowed us to get educated. Knowing allowed us to get funding from our government (in Canada) to help our son out. Having a diagnosis allowed the school system to provide extra support in the social area for him. We've been able to read about ways to help him. He's old enough now that we read about Aspergers together and understand about his strengths, and his weaknesses, and work on them together. It was really hard to get the diagnosis at first. But as we put it, everyone has their own set of issues and oddities, whether they have a label or not. I don't know if your healthcare covers stuff like an occupational therapist or a speech language pathologist, but these people can be fabulous resources for high functioning autism/aspergers. By the way, their job titles are in no way indicative of what they actually do.
I'm pretty much just running on now, but as a last word, check out Michelle Garcia Winner on the web. I think her website is socialthinking.com. See if you can take out some of her books from the library.
Hope some of this is useful. And if not particularly useful the I hope some of this is hopeful for you!!
|

replied July 1st, 2011
lol u remind me of my friend hes ocd god i had so much fun w him jus love n b loved
|

User Profile
replied July 18th, 2011
Experienced User
i think you are not wrong about you
|