Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

I'm Getting Bloody Mucous after My Period

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
My period ended 5 days ago. Since then, I've been getting yellowish discharge and sometimes it's bloody. I realize it when I wipe or sometimes, I see it on my underwear. It's not full blood like period but then the mucous is red. Sometimes, it's brownish-red and sometimes it's pink. I am really scared because when I google it, it seems like everything leads to Cancer. I am not sexually active so there's no way for me to get STDs. I went to a gyno and she told me that bloody discharge can be normal. She don't seem to have an answer that makes me feel better and I'm now waiting for my pap smear test results. But I don't think there's anything because she has not call me within the time period for my results. She said that if no one calls it means your fine. Can someone please give me any clue to what this is? It's really scary. And sometimes, my genital area feels like it's heavy or something is making feel like it's uncomfortable and I don't know if that's just thinking too much.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 5th, 2012
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
The spotting and mucus discharge can be considered normal if not associated with any other associated symptoms. If infection is suspected, a vaginal swab/smear test done would help. If the PAP smear has come back normal, you need not worry. If the symptoms persist, causes like hormonal derangements, thyroid abnormalities, ovarian cysts, endometritis, endometrial hyperplasia, etc should be looked for by getting further evaluation done. Treatment as appropriate (based on examination findings and investigations results) would be started to help you. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Drink plenty of water. Take adequate rest. Maintain healthy diet and lifestyle.
Take care.

|

replied April 20th, 2012
re:
I have now had these symptoms for 6 months (put it down to hormones settling after giving birth nearly a year ago) But have finally got myself booked in to the GP after 'coming off' a week ago (normal period) then 7 days later coming on again but thick mucus red/brown discharge. Pain free. Worried as also read up on things (ruddy google) I am 25 and am awaiting to see what is going on. I hope you are ok, I am terrified Sad
|

replied April 12th, 2013
I allways be scared now. my mom was having a lot of pain and bleeding when I took her to the doctors I had to make her go but test came back some days later and she found out she had ovarian cancer stage 3 but God is good because I still have my mom she went through alot with all the treatments but now she is cancer free she had wonderful doctors at ucsf I thank them so much for helping my mother.
|

replied April 12th, 2013
I allways be scared now. my mom was having a lot of pain and bleeding when I took her to the doctors I had to make her go but test came back some days later and she found out she had ovarian cancer stage 3 but God is good because I still have my mom she went through alot with all the treatments but now she is cancer free she had wonderful doctors at ucsf I thank them so much for helping my mother.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vaginal and Uterus Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.