Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

I'm Completely Lost. this is my last option at the moment.

Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
You all probably get sick of people asking if they seem schizophrenic or not, but this is my last option at the moment.

I'm a 15, almost 16 year old. I can't say my life has been super extraordinary but its not ordinary either. Random mental illnesses have been known throughout my family, you name it, we have it. Most of my life I had thought that "seeing" stuff was completely normal. I would tell my friends that I was speaking to ghosts and that I had "gifts".

Normal little kid stuff, right? Not quite. Things escalated through fourth grade when I finally broke down in tears after the first day of school telling my mom that voices kept calling my name, they wouldn't leave. She told me to ignore them. In sixth grade, once again in tears, I told my mom that I saw and heard things and that I was scared. She yelled at me and told me to knock it off. Then just last year when I was in ninth grade I tried once more to tell her about everything. She accused me of lying.

Everything has gotten so bad that I feel like there are always bugs all over me, I am too scared to go to sleep, I keep hearing these voices like a crowd of people yelling at me in my head, ocassionally I will see stuff, and I am extremely paranoid over EVERYTHING. My mom is a psychologist and I don't trust really anyone to know where to turn to... Am I a schizophrenic or something else? What do i do?

Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 29th, 2012
Hi, Invisible Girl

I almost did not ansver your question, because diagnosing people online is does not work for so many reasons. I am not a health professional, I am a person, and even if my symptoms were 100% similar to yours I still could not diagnose you.

However. It is brave of you to defy the voices by coming here. I admire you for that. And I definitely think its time that you get some help. If you are psychotic, which I, sitting far away from you cant tell, you need to get some help, and it needs to happen quickly.

Psychotic symptoms get worse over time without treatment, and if you catch it earlly you will be so much better off. Therefore, go see a school nurse, doctor or someone who can direct you to a psychiatrist. Psychosis is very treatable!

I have been where you are, and I know how hard it is to ask for help. Do it anyways because waiting is NOT good for you.

Sincerely, Lithia.
|
Did you find this post helpful?