Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

I keep dropping things, I lose balance, Forgetfulness...

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
Good evening everyone. Thank you very much for taking the time to read this post.

I have searched around the net with my symptoms and always seem to get serious or worse-case scenario answers. I am hoping someone on here will be able to shed some light on what might be happening with me. I am not a big fan of going to the doctors and don't get too bothered by whats happening to me but there is too much happening these days to ignore the symptoms.

ok, a bit about me. I am a 32 year old mother of three. I am in a very happy and successful relationship. I am happy in my job and have a healthy social life. I don't smoke or drink. I am not on any medication and try to live a holistic lifestyle. I am over-weight but not obese. I exercise regularly and have a good diet.

So onto the symptoms.. and there are many, I am sorry:
I keep dropping things (this is the symptom that is most annoying and noticeable)
I lose balance without cause
Headaches
Forgetfulness- this can be also lost for words
Awful leg cramps
Pins & needles
Weakness
Fatigue
Mood swings

They are a few, but not always there. I used to have bouts of these but it seems to be happening more regularly. The leg cramps don't happen often but when they do it can last for days and can be extremely painful, often waking me at night and can be extreme. One thing that seems to be happening a lot is the dropping items and balance.

Yes, MS has popped up quite a lot when I searched but I find it very unlikely this is the cause, for the following reason:

About 2 years ago I ended up in hospital for a few weeks and had a ton of tests done, lumbar puncture and lots of MRI's. I was admitted because of sudden facial paralysis and headache. They ruled out stroke pretty fast but kept me in for tests. The neuro never really told me what he thought it was but when I went back for a follow up a year later he felt confidant that it was not MS as the MRI done in hospital looked good.

As I said, I am not overly concerned but would like to get to the bottom of this so I can focus on fixing it.

Thank you very much again for taking the time to read this and I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Gaelic
|

User Profile
replied December 27th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
Una_Kelly,

Unfortunately, many of these symptoms can just come from being a very socially active mother of three (mood swings, fatigue, headaches, etc).

You do not say where the numbness and tingling is located. If it is in the hands, you are about the age where symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome can become noticable. Many times the clumsy feeling in the hands and dropping objects comes before the actual development of numbness/tingling and discomfort. Many patients have the numbness only upon waking in the morning, which goes away after shaking out the hands. This is mainly due to positioning of the limbs during sleep (we tend to tuck our hands up under the chin or behind the head, which can put pressure on the nerves in the upper extremity).

Beginning in the thirties to early forties, if one is not actively participating in vigorous athletics, we tend to start losing strength, balance, and agility. We just are not as "athletic" and "graceful" as we were just a few years earlier. It really takes regular participation is activities (athletics) which require these maneuvers to keep them up to a high level. Otherwise, we slowly decondition, lose some strength, grace, balance, agility, and it finally gets to a point where it is actually noticable. But, it is actually not anything "abnormal", it is just a fact of life.

Cramping can be due to overuse and not staying hydrated enough. If it was due to an electrolyte imbalance, that would usually cause pretty generalized cramping, rather than being in just one location. Cramping can also be part of the spectrum of "restless leg syndrome". Which, again, starts to become more noticable in the thirties to forties.

As to your previous episode of facial paralysis, it could be a tranient ischemic attack (TIA) or possibly a transient Bell's palsy. The good thing is that no anatomic abnormality was found on any of your studies.

Again, your constellation of signs/symptoms is not all that uncommonly seen in many, many patients.

But, if you are concerned about them, or one/two are really bothersome, speak with your physician. You never know, it may be that something has progressed over the interval and it would now be detectable on studies/exam.

Good luck.

With you having had the "million dollar" workup, you are correct in that it would have been remarkable if anything "significant" was missed.
|

replied December 28th, 2012
Thank you very much Gaelic, that was a very informative and helpful answer and is much appreciated. I guess I shall have to give into the inevitable and accept I am getting older, lol.

To answer a point, the numbness and tingling can be from from my face, arms to legs or any of those areas seperately and on my left side. Also, it is not dependant on time of day or activity. Yes, I realise that this can be a sign of something mroe serious but it has happened so many times now that I have concluded it couldn't be anything serious or life threatening like a stroke and I won't go troubling the doctor for something that isn't serious.

However, the next time I go to the doctor, assuming nothing changes, I will mention it to her and see what she says.

Thanks again for the reply, it was very reassuring.
|

User Profile
replied December 30th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
Una_Kelly,

No problem.

Do mention your symptoms to your physician the next time you see her. But, if they change or get worse, don't hesitate to contact your physician. It is their job to look after you, so never feel that you are an imposition.

Keep us informed on how you are doing, or if anything is found to be causing your symptoms. It is always helpful to members to know what was finally found to be causing your symptoms.

Good luck. Wishing you the best in the new year.
|

replied January 11th, 2014
I've had similar symptoms except substitute leg cramps for restless leg. My pins & needles and numbness are isolated to the left side of my entire body, tip to toe. MRI of brain & neck both negative for MS. However neck MRI identified cervical stenosis on 4 different vertebrae. Physical therapy has improved symptoms especially numbness, headaches, neck/shoulder pain, and clumsiness (which was super annoying for me too). PT has not helped with forgetfulness/loss of words or fatigue. I attribute mood swings & depression to my not feeling well for so long, so PT has helped in that respect, also.
I suggest getting a 2nd MRI on neck. Also be aware that it can take years for an MS diagnosis so don't rule that out 100% yet.
|

replied April 28th, 2014
Hi, I know you are 32 and this may not seem like it. Just a thought, maybe you are going through menopause? The early stage? It can begin as early as 30s to 40s. The symptoms that you mentioned are similar to what my mother experienced so she is advising all her daughters to take some supplements like evening prim rose oil to lessen the symptoms. We can't avoid the symptoms but can ease it a bit when it comes.
|

replied November 5th, 2014
you are tired and need to relax, take your kids to someone else for a while. Spend time in fresh air, take vitamins and eat well
|