Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Brain and Head Injuries Forum

i hit my head pretty hard!

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
When i went iceskating last year in december i hit my head pretty hard. I never got it checked out. But lately I've been having really weird headaches. Its okay in the morning but then it gets worse at night. My speech has also become affected. The doctor told me to get glasses to help my headaches but they haven't helped. Its hard for me to concerntrate, i'm confused all the time. I also feel dizzy most of the time. And i'm always feeling drowsy. Falling asleep during school lessons. I've also lost my appetite. I'll try to eat something, and I'll start feeling sick, and then I'll just give up. I'm really worried that it might be something serious.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 23rd, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
You need to see a neurologist as soon as you can. This might be related to the head injury or it might not, but either way, you're having symptoms that are seriously interfering with your life.

Did you have any symptoms of a concussion when you got the head injury? Have you had any symptoms between then and now? Have you ever had a seizure?

Is there any history of migraines in your family? Does the dizziness come on before the headaches? Have you experienced any vision changes or visual symptoms? Any numbness or tingling? Any mood swings or depression? During the headaches, do you have sensitivity to light, sound, or smells? Any neck pain?

If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, bring it up to the neurologist. Also, write down all your symptoms, how long they've been going on, and what (if anything) makes them better or worse. You may want to start keeping a symptom diary to track when each comes on, how bad it is (scale 1-5), and what you ate, drank, how much you slept, how much activity you had that day. And don't forget to ask the doctor whatever questions you have. That's what they're there for.

Ask about getting an MRI or a CT scan to rule out anything serious. If serious conditions are ruled out, you may just be getting severe migraines, which can be treated with medication.

Let us know what the doctor says and if you have any more questions. Best of luck to you.
|
Did you find this post helpful?