Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

I have hep C extreme lower back pain, like kidney pain.

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
User Profile
I have hep C due to sharing needles. Lately i have had extreme lower back pain, like kidney pain. My circulation is all screwed up; numbness and tingly sensations in my extremities. I am tired and cold all the time.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied October 17th, 2011
Kidney Conditions Answer A27770
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

From the description of your symptoms it seems that you may be having Mixed cryoglobulinemia, which is a form of vasculitis resulting due to association with Hepatitis C infection.

Cryoglobulins in the blood (cryoglobulinemia) can cause conditions throughout the body. These conditions include ‎problems resulting from abnormal "thickness" of the blood (such as stroke or blood clots in the eyes leading to ‎blindness) and inflammation of blood vessels, referred to as vasculitis. Vasculitis of arteries can result in blockage of ‎arteries leading to damage to the organ(s) supplied by the affected blood vessels, such as in the skin, kidneys, or ‎elsewhere.‎

The most primary goal of any treatment regimen for MC is elimination of the HCV infection. When the level of virus ‎in the serum decreases, patients usually experience a decrease in symptoms as well. For this reason, Interferon-a is ‎the current drug of choice. ‎

The secondary goal of MC treatment is alleviation of the symptoms, which requires immunosuppression. Non-‎steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are used to treat minor symptoms such as purpura, weakness, and joint pain. ‎Steroids are prescribed for more serious symptoms such as sensory neuropathy and glomerulonephritis.‎

The most seriously life threatening conditions, such as acute progressive glomerulonephritis, motor neuropathy, ‎and hyperviscosity syndrome, are treated with plasma exchange therapy accompanied by immunosuppressive ‎drugs.‎

You might consult with a immunologist and hepatologist for a proper and effective treatment of your symptoms and condition.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.