Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

I have a pica problem!

Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
I have an addiction to eating rocks and I know that it's very bad for me. I find rocks and break them down with a hammer and suck all the dirft off before I begin chewing up the rock bits. I was wondering if anyone else does this and how I should go about stopping this. I know that it's bad for me, but I love the earthy taste in my mouth. Please help!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 20th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
smaq,

Patients who have pica are often nutritionally deficient in something.

You should first see your physician for an evaluation. It may be that you are missing a specific nutrient in you diet or you are unable to absorb that nutrient. Replacing it or bringing it into an adequate amount may cure your pica.

If it is found that you are okay nutritionally, then you will probably need professional help to manage the pica problem. Contact a mental health professional for advice.

Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?