Medical Questions > Mental Health > ADD and ADHD Forum

I feel the constant need to stretch and no one knows what it is

Must Read
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD) is a neurobiological disorder that can interfere in a person's daily life. Learn more about ADHD basics here....
Have doctors found an exact cause of ADHD? Do biological factors or genes have anything to do with it? More on causes and risks of ADHD development here....
What are the symptoms of ADHD and when do they first present? We outline the principal characteristics of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder to help you...
User Profile
I always feel a constant need to stretch. Last November, it was just my arms. It progressively spread to my legs, neck, and shoulders. I asked the hospital what it was at a scheduled appointment. My doctor asked about RLS or ADHD, but I have no trouble focusing and the need to stretch is less in my legs than everywhere else. I have checked multiple forums and internet research, but nothing seems to work. What do I do?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 16th, 2012
I have a similar issue with needing to strech in my back but to do so in a way that is effective is quite contorted and odd, and what i have learned is that it can sometimes be linked to your brain making you feel the need to strech to releve stress or tension that has built up, its just a theory that me and my doctor have come up with but if you reduce the stress in your life the feeling of needing to strech may reduce, i hope this helps Smile
|

replied July 22nd, 2012
I also have had that feeling over the past years. It's like I constantly need to flex my muscles all over. If your like me. I have this constant "craving feeling"
Can you relate to my feeling. Always looking for something. But can never feel the void.
|

User Profile
replied July 23rd, 2012
It's like that. I've tried to stop stretching, but I can't go more than like 10 seconds before I have to stretch again. It's like a cough or itch. It's super uncomfortable to stop and I have to focus completely on staying still. I saw a rheumatologist about it recently and she said it was probably just a "nervous habit." I don't have either of these, but in case anyone else might...RLS(Restless Legs Syndrome) is a night disorder, and so is PLMD(Periodic Limb Movement Disorder). I hope this helps someone.
|

replied January 10th, 2014
i have this problem in my whole body. when i move or stand my whole body stiffens and stays that way for several minutes. I have to stretch. Its awful! its painful and i also have shortness of breath and feel very tired. what is it? i distrust doctors and half the time they dont know their butts from a hole in the ground!
|

replied June 1st, 2014
Hello now this may not give you a direct answer but i too have this problem but in my legs. I play tennis almost 4 times a week so its not lack of activity. But on the days I'm not doing anything this is still a problem. so it is not because of too much activity. I also have ADHD and take meds for this but i feel the need to stretch my legs through out the day even when I have taken ADHD medication. I also asked my doc. and she had no idea what the heck i was talking about even when i mentioned that i thought it might have been RLS all she said , was that I didn't have RLS
|