Medical Questions > Relationships > Pets and Animals Forum

I feel that my cat has depression? Can someone help me?

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
User Profile
I don't know what to do. I suffer from depression. I'm in and out of it. Now I'm in a depression. My cat sometimes looks like me. Lays in bed all day with her eyes open. She started just last week to go into the corner behind the night table and lay there or sleep there. I covered it with a pillow since I didn't need it anymore. I saw her try to go into that corner again yesterday. She meows alot and makes noises. She started a nasty fight with her mother the other day. Sometimes though I think shes ok, she comes out of the bedroom and wonders around but for the most part shes in there. Or in another corner in like this storage cage I have in the living room. She wasn't going in there in like a month than she started again. I just got them a toy she played with it the first day and now she doesn't want to play with it again. I thought if she had a toy when I don't play with her and it works on its own she be better?? I always check to make sure shes breathing I am very worried about her. I kiss her and hold her every single day. I give her love every single day. SHe also wasn't eating her wet food anymore for like 2 weeks. Every other day I give them that. So I didn't the other day and gave them today. Its gone they both ate the wet food. She ate the food, so I really don't know whats goin on?? Is she depressed or not?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 22nd, 2010
I'll answer my own freaken question, she was depressed for a week goin in those corners I believe, but she is ok now, but . I starting not to like my other cats behavior. Its all because of me anyway. She always likes to stay under the bed, but I feel like shes there too long, I don't know. Since no one will answer my posts and help me I think I may get out of these forum.
|

replied July 27th, 2010
Depressed cat
I've never contributed to a forum and I'm certainly no doctor but you sound so unhappy. I don't think your cat's depressed, especially if she gets lots of kisses and cuddles from you. She may be unwell in some other way that isn't necessarily serious at all. My cat has a recurring problem of a granuloma in the mouth. When it flares up, he gets very quiet and goes off his food. Maybe you can take your cat to the vet and get her checked over; it's probably something quite straightforward. However, you also need to look after yourself. Are you taking any medication for depression? If so, it sounds as if you may need the dose adjusting. There are probably also things in your life that you are unhappy with but it is very difficult to change things when you are so low and blaming yourself for everything. Step 1 in my opinion is going to the doctor and explaining how you feel; I'm sure you will be prescribed medication. Step 2, when you feel a bit better, is starting to think about what changes you need to make, either in your practical circumstances or simply your way of looking at things. Counselling is expensive but can really help if you find the right person. I hope you feel better soon and for goodness sake try to be less hard on yourself.
|