Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

i didn't stop taking the pill. but the bleeding occurred?

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
User Profile
I was on period on 19 December and after my period done, i started my birth control. after i finished my 1st pack, i didn't stop taking the pill. but the bleeding occur ed . I had sex during that bleeding moment. am i safe? and if i stop the birth control soon, will i get on my period again?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 26th, 2012
Menstruation Answer A30796
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum.
Since most of the hormonal contraceptives start giving you effective protection after about 2-3 weeks of regular use, you should have the protection if you had intercourse during menstrual bleeding/withdrawal bleeding. Chances of pregnancy are also less with intercourse during period time. Continue to take your birth control pills at scheduled time daily. Wait and watch for your next periods/withdrawal bleeding. If pregnancy is suspected, look out for symptoms suggestive of early pregnancy and visit your doctor/gynecologist for thorough examination (to confirm pregnancy related changes/signs in body) and blood/serum HCG level test (to confirm/rule out pregnancy accurately). Stop the birth control use if you suspect chances of pregnancy or if pregnancy gets confirmed.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Birth Control , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.