Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

I could use a bit of advice if someone has just a moment. Thanks

Must Read
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States. Learn more about types of arthritis here....
Do you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around? You might have arthritis. Learn more about arthritis signs and symptoms here....
Signs and symptoms of rheumatic diseases are common to many different diseases. Diagnose arthritis correctly using these step-by-step diagnosis instructions....
I was just prescribed Voltaren today. However, I don't seem the exactly meet the most common symptoms for which it is prescribed it would appear. For nearly a week now, I've noticed a swelling of my right breast, along with swelling continuing to the area underneath my right arm, accompanied with a good amount of constant pain and moderate discomfort. I was told that before going so far as to perform scans on the area in question, that I should take a full dosage of Ibuprofen 4 times a day, in addition to the use of this new tube of Voltaren. (Which I'm supposed to massage into the inflamed and painful area 4 times a day as well.) So, my question here is this... Based on my symptoms at the moment, do you believe this particular path of treatment is appropriate? I simply wish to hear some opinions. Thank you very much for your time.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 16th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
wwjester,

Possibly the physician feels the swelling is from mastitis, which is an inflammation of the breast. Both the ibuprofen and Voltaren (diclofenac) are NSAIDs (nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs), designed to help decrease inflammation. If the underlying inflammation is treated, then the swelling should decrease. Another property of NSAIDs is pain relief, so they may also help with that.

Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?